Subject: [Uta] review of specs that cite RFC 6125

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 21:26:09 -0600

I've completed a review of the 75 RFCs that cite RFC 6125: 
https://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/citations-rfc6125.html

Of these, I have slight concerns about only 3:

* RFC 8071 discusses a function that enables servers to call out to 
clients; in this case the very concept of a reference identifier doesn't 
apply, but I don't see the need to modify 6125bis to cover this use case.

* RFC 8314 discusses pinned certificates and points to RFC 6125 for 
further discussion about pinning; although we're removing this text from 
6125bis, the pointer to RFC 6125 will remain valid.

* RFC 9174 defines a new certificate identifier "NODE-ID"; because this 
appears to be specific to delay-tolerant networking, I don't think we 
need to add it to 6125bis.

Comments welcome on list or at 
https://github.com/richsalz/draft-ietf-uta-rfc6125bis/issues/38

Peter

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:09:17 +0000

It's not completely removed, but it has fallen out of favor :)  There's still text, but it’s just one paragraph at the end of Sec 6.5, and I think 8314 is still okay to ref 6125/6125bis.

By the way, this was an amazing effort; thanks!