Subject: IPv4 vs. IPv6 operational costs

From: "Dwight Jamieson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:46:31 -0500

Is anyone aware of any studies that quantify the differences between the
operating costs of an IPv4 network using private addressing vs. an IPv6
network using globally unique addresses?

Cheers,
Dwight

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:17:17 -0800

On Nov 23, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Dwight Jamieson wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any studies that quantify the differences  
> between the operating costs of an IPv4 network using private  
> addressing vs. an IPv6 network using globally unique addresses?

I'm not. What would lead you to believe that IPv6 networks, or IPv4  
networks with global addressing, should have different costs than  
IPv4 networks with local addressing?

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:32:30 +0200 (EET)

> network using globally unique addresses?

I've not but I'd be interested to see _real_ calculations.

I assume from your wording that you're referring to an IPv6-only 
network.  If so, my suspicion is that the costs can be high as you 
need to live on the bleeding edge, i.e., are the one that'll find the 
bugs, need to get a lot of consulting to get the network to work as 
v6-only, etc.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings