Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Recommendations for Filtering ICMPv6 Messages in Firewalls
	Author(s)	: E. Davies, J. Mohacsi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-01.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2006-6-13
	
In networks supporting IPv6 the Internet Control Message Protocol
version 6 (ICMPv6) plays a fundamental role with a large number of
functions, and a correspondingly large number of message types and
options.  A number of security risks are associated with uncontrolled
forwarding of ICMPv6 messages.  On the other hand, compared with IPv4
and the corresponding protocol ICMP, ICMPv6 is essential to the
functioning of IPv6 rather than a useful auxiliary.
This document provides some recommendations for ICMPv6 firewall
filter configuration that will allow propagation of ICMPv6 messages
that are needed to maintain the functioning of the network but drop
messages which are potential security risks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.