Subject: IPv6 Benchmarking Draft - Please provide feedback

From: "Chip Popoviciu \(cpopovic\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 02:36:36 -0400

Dear v6ops WG members,
 
We would like to ask for your feedback on an "IPv6 Benchmarking" draft
(attached) we are working on within the Benchmarking Working Group. This
work was started and is driven by the great demand we see for
benchmarking guidelines on evaluating the IPv6 performance of network
devices. This is a subject of great interest to those who deployed or
consider the deployment of IPv6. 
 
This draft follows, in structure and format, the recommendation of BMWG
to be an IPv6 specific complement to RFC 2544 and not its replacement.
As such, this document is referring the reader to RFC 2544 wherever
possible and provides IPv6 specific updates wherever necessary.
Recommendations are made on evaluating performance with mixed IPv4-IPv6
traffic as well. Note that in keeping with the spirit of RFC 2544, no
benchmarking recommendations are made for tunneling mechanisms, the
focus remaining on native forwarding. The attached version incorporates
the feedback received on version -00 from BWMG members.
 
Considering the IPv6 operational expertise of this group, your comments
and suggestions would be extremely valuable in developing and improving
this document. Your feedback is most appreciated.
 
Best Regards,
Ciprian Popoviciu
for the authors of the draft

---

From: Daniel Roesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:12:06 +0200

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:36:36AM -0400, Chip Popoviciu (cpopovic) wrote:
> Note that in keeping with the spirit of RFC 2544, no
> focus remaining on native forwarding.

I feel that performance of the various tunnelling mechanisms relating
to IPv6 (this includes GRE!) is a very important factor for years to
come, given that many folks will need to use them in the transition
phase.

Regards,
Daniel

-- 
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email-masked] -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:19:25 -0700

maybe the right answer is to go back to the benchmarking folks and  
ask them for a way of benchmarking tunneling solutions. Such a  
solution could be targeted at IPSEC tunnel mode in IPv4 and IPv6, GRE  
in IPv4 and IPv6, MPLS, L2TP, ...