Subject: Preparatory to WGLC draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:05:54 -0800

This draft has had something of a tortured history, and hit a bump  
this morning in v6ops. Next week I plan to issue a working group last  
call on it (repeat from one about a year ago) barring significant  
issues, and send it to the IESG. However, one issue came up that I  
would like a clear opinion from the working group on.

It describes the use of IPv6 in IPv6 and IPv4 tunnels, but does not  
describe IPv4 in IPv6 or IPv4 tunnels. Alain Durand is of the opinion  
that, since IPSEC is independent of the two technologies, the  
additional work needed to make it cover the case is nominal. He also  
thinks that it would be useful to him operationally. However, the  
authors have not looked into that, and suspect that it would require  
some think time and a number of small changes to the draft.

If we do the work, I think that fairness to the authors calls for  
Alain to contribute to the analysis and the editorial work, at least  
in helping identify the edits required.

Please, I'd like an up-down decision here - drop kurt and I a note  
privately indicating whether you think the work is warranted or  
whether this draft should go forward as is.