Subject: Regarding I-D Action:draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-00.txt

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:29:37 +0000

Hi,

A heads-up that to complement Gunter et al's RA-Guard draft, I have
submitted a problem statement draft based on IETF-69 discussions and
subsequent list discussions.

This captures comments on problem scenarios, possible solutions, and
includes potential new DHCPv6 features.   This discussions also highlighted
a possible requirement for a DHCPv6 option for on-link prefixes, which
should probably be taken forward in the DHC WG.

The details are as follows:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Rogue IPv6 Router Advertisement Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : T. Chown, S. Venaas
	Filename        : draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2007-11-12

When deploying IPv6 networks, whether IPv6-only or dual-stack,
routers are configured to use IPv6 Router Advertisements to convey
information to on link nodes that enable them to autoconfigure on the
network.  This information includes the implied default router
address taken from the observed source address of the Router
Advertisement (RA) message.  However, in some networks 'bogus' RAs
are observed, which may be present due to misconfigurations or
possibly malicious attacks on the network.  In this draft we
summarise the scenarios in which rogue RAs may be observed, and we
present a list of possible solutions to the problem.  The goal of
this draft is to present a framework around which solutions can be
proposed and discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-00.txt