Subject: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-02.txt

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:19:20 +0100

Hi,

I've updated my modified NAT-PT draft (again). It now includes:

- changes to NAT-PT in the form of using A records directly rather  
than syntetic AAAA records so no DNS issues
- synthetic RFC 1918 source address coupled with the above allows for  
applications to see that they're doing IPv4 rather than IPv6 and that  
there is NAT involved
- the above allows for non-IPv6 applications to work
- IPv4-to-IPv6-to-IPv4 translation without double NAT
- a mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to receive incoming sessions from  
the IPv4-only world

Please note that this is a discussion document, I'm not suggesting  
that everything in it is adopted as-is.

Begin forwarded message:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts  
> directories.

> 	Title           : Modified Network Address Translation - Protocol  
> Translation
> 	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
> 	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-02.txt
> 	Pages           : 16
> 	Date            : 2007-11-19

> A smooth transition from IPv4 to IPv6 requires that either all hosts
> are upgraded to dual stack before the first hosts can become IPv6-
> only, or that there be some mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to talk to
> IPv4-only hosts.  Expecting the former within a reasonable timeframe
> isn't realistic, based on current adoption of dual stack combined
> with the latest projections for the IPv4 depletion that point to a
> date early in the next decade.  And the IETF has recently deprecated
> the main mechanism that allows the latter: NAT-PT.
> This document proposes modifications to NAT-PT that address the
> reasons why the mechanism was deprecated.  This should allow future
> deployment of the modified NAT-PT as an IPv4-to-IPv6 transition
> mechanism, giving operators the option of running their networks
> largely IPv6-only.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-02.txt