Subject: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:46:40 +1300

I've fixed a lot of errors and inconsistencies in this version.
I'd really like to know if the idea holds water. Active co-authors
would be most welcome. Critical review by someone who's been
tracking BEHAVE would be most welcome.

     Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:30:02 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Shimmed IPv4/IPv6 Address Network Translation Interface (SHANTI)
	Author(s)       : B. Carpenter
	Filename        : draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2007-11-07

There is a pragmatic need for a packet-level translation mechanism
between IPv4 and IPv6, for scenarios where no other mode of IPv4 to
IPv6 interworking is possible.  The mechanism defined here uses a
shim in both the translator and the IPv6 host to mitigate the
problems introduced by stateless translation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt

---

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:56:32 -0800

> tracking BEHAVE would be most welcome.

It looks like "reverse RSIP" for IPv6-transition.  Brilliant!

I'm also not entirely convinced that carrying network layer IPsec ESP  
through SHANTI to IPv4 endpoints would be all that difficult.  I  
start by doing the fairly obvious thing in existing IKE ALGs in use  
today for IPsec VPN transparency where you track IKE cookies and  
match SPI to local host addresses by serializing their IKE  
transactions.  You'd just have to look for IPv6 addresses as well as  
IPv4 addresses in the SHANTI translator.  You'd still have all the  
same old problems with IPv4/NAT and IPsec ESP translation with an IKE  
ALG, but those are— again— limitations of communicating over IPv4  
with a single IP address mapped to multiple private addresses.  In  
short, your IPv6-only node would be able to communicate with IPsec  
ESP to IPv4 hosts through the SHANTI translator with basically the  
same level of brokenness that you have today with an IPv4 stack at a  
private address behind a NAT.

--
james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering