Subject: Re: Fwd: [ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Size Reduction

From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:06:43 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 12:10:27PM -0400, Brian Dickson wrote:
> There is more than one TLD, many more than one. Each of *those* need at 
> *least* two /48's, since
> the minimum number of nameservers for any zone is two.

And *this* is just not true.

TLD name servers can function perfectly well without their own routing
table slot - they can happily live in upstream (PA) space, and be 
renumbered as need arises.  Yes, PI space is so much more convenient,
but isn't *everybody* "special"?

*Anycasted* sets of servers are indeed special from a routing perspective,
but not each TLD is using anycast, and thus your claim that "each TLD
needs to /48" is just wrong.

Gert Doering
        -- RIPE APWG chair
-- 
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  122119

SpaceNet AG                        Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14          Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                   HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279