Subject: Re: 6to4 anycast IP as source address / PTR record

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:48:12 -0800

Hi,

This is really unrelated to real content in this discussion, so this'll be
my last comment.

On 1/31/08 8:13 PM, "Kevin Day" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'd considered trying to sell the idea of a name under .arpa, but
> thought that would just add even more debate over what's acceptable to
> put under .arpa and what isn't.

ARPA = "Address and Routing Parameter Area" (at least now :-)).  6to4 seems
like it would fit in their nicely to me.  I suspect all it would need would
be a reference in an RFC (or perhaps merely asking the IAB to have it
delegated).

> I was actually going to propose something along the lines of "anycast.
> 6to4.relay.see.rfc3068.net", with "www.rfc3068.net" being a very brief
> description of what it's used for.

My personal feeling is that use of gTLDs for infrastructure is fundamentally
broken.  While I'm sure ICANN, VeriSign, and whatever registrar you use
appreciate the revenue, it isn't clear to me that this is appropriate for
stuff defined (explicitly or implicitly) via IETF protocols.

However, in the grand scheme of things, it probably isn't that big a deal...

Regards,
-drc