Subject: strong host model sentence in cpe rtr -03 version

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:27:15 -0500

Dave,
 
Since you questioned strong host model during our IETF 73 v6ops prezo,
here is a closure once I had time to recollect my thoughts on the
subject.  First, I take the strong vs. weak host models for traffic
forwarding by a host on received traffic.  As we told in the prezo that
NTT in Japan runs routing code NTT developed for a Windows PC.  So for
their deployment if Windows OS changes between pre-Vista to Vista from
weak to strong host model, then we do have a problem for the NTT routing
software running on Vista.  In the CPE Rtr Unnumbered model, the WAN
interface of the Rtr has only a Link-local address.   A strong host
model needs a global IPv6 address on the WAN interface to receive global
IPV6 traffic - NTT runs PPPOE.  That is why the text below was added to
the -03 version of the CPE Rtr.
 
[The Unnumbered model is incompatible with the strong host model on the
CPE router. The unnumbered model may be inappropriate for use with
certain deployments where a device that uses the strong host model can
operate as a CPE Router.]
 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-03.txt
 
I don't have any more details on the NTT deployment like if any other
hosts are behind their Windows PC that is being used as a CPE Rtr - if
we did have such host behind the rtr PC, the the global address assigned
to the other PCs via IA_PD sub-delegation, then the global address on
the LAN could be used to source packet our the WAN interface to the SP.
I am told the same Windows PC acting as a CPE Rtr, is also the PC being
used by the user at home for using Internet services etc.   
 
Hemant