Subject: DHCPv6 DUID vs. MAC, default-router, prefix

From: Chuck Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:07:44 -0500

I hope I'm not out of line posting here, but I thought people would 
like to know about some interesting discussion of operational issues 
and developments around DHCPv6, some inside the IETF, some outside.

First up is a rather large thread on ISC's dhcp-users list discussing 
issues surrounding DHCPv6's lack of a client link-layer address 
option:

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-February/thread.html#8088

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2009-March/thread.html#8118

Next is a much smaller thread about SLAAC and DDNS on dhcwg:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg09635.html

Finally, the message below from Ralph Droms is the first I've heard of 
a draft documenting DHCPv6 options for default router and prefix 
length.  I welcome this addition.

Regards,
Chuck

----- Forwarded message from Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> -----

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 06:10:09 -0500
Subject: Re: IPv6 confusion
Precedence: list

Thanks to all who responded with input about why DHCPv6 should have  
options for default routers and prefix information.  We've published a  
draft defining these options, which will be discussed at the upcoming IETF 
meeting in San Francisco.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts  
directories.

	   Title           : Default Router and Prefix Advertisement Options for 
DHCPv6
	   Author(s)       : R. Droms, T. Narten
	   Filename        : draft-droms-dhc-dhcpv6-default-router-00.txt
	   Pages           : 7
	   Date            : 2009-03-02

   In some IPv6 deployments, there is a requirement to communicate a
   list of default routers and advertised prefixes to a host through
   DHCP.  This document defines DHCP options to carry that information.

   A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-droms-dhc-dhcpv6-default-router-00.txt

   Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

- Ralph

----- End forwarded message -----