Subject: draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security should not be a BCP

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:40:09 -0400

I thought before this document moves to a Last Call, it should change to
Informational.   None of the information in this document can be
considered to be current practice, let alone be "best practice" because
security from this document hasn't been implemented yet in an IPv6 home
router by multiple vendors, let alone be considered as security that is
widely deployed and hence be best practice. 

Hemant

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:13:06 -0700

I think that may actually be an outcome of the last call. But your  
point is well taken.

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

> I thought before this document moves to a Last Call, it should  
> change to Informational.   None of the information in this document  
> can be considered to be current practice, let alone be “best  
> practice” because security from this document hasn’t been  
> implemented yet in an IPv6 home router by multiple vendors, let  
> alone be considered as security that is widely deployed and hence be  
> best practice.
>
> Hemant

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:52:06 -0400

Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
>
> I thought before this document moves to a Last Call, it should change 
> to Informational. None of the information in this document can be 
> considered to be current practice, let alone be “best practice” 
> because security from this document hasn’t been implemented yet in an 
> IPv6 home router by multiple vendors, let alone be considered as 
> security that is widely deployed and hence be best practice.
>

Best practice can be what the security community recognizes as the best 
thing that can be done in the situation, even if it is not the 'current 
practice', or even the 'common practice'.

Sometimes you set the bar and draw the drinkers to it.