Subject: Re: Posted a new copy of CPE Rtr draft

From: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:54:59 -0400

In Broadband Forum, service providers there have so far agreed that the generic BBF cpe router will support unnumbered and numbered (SLAAC and DHCP). The CPE router will expect prefix delegation by DHCP (and other options), so if DHCPv6 isn't used for stateful address, it will still be used statelessly. The router will be prepared to respond according to what the access network tells it to do, and has no preference for which mode it operates in. 
Barbara

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Maglione Roberta <[email-masked]>
Cc: 'Hemant Singh (shemant)' <[email-masked]>; Wes Beebee (wbeebee) <[email-masked]>; IPv6 Operations <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon Mar 16 14:22:42 2009
Subject: Re: Posted a new copy of CPE Rtr draft

On Mar 16, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Maglione Roberta wrote:

> could you please explain why stateful DHCPv6 is the recommended  
> method for assigning a global IPv6 address to the  WAN interface?  
> Are you suggesting excluding the possibility to use SLAAC to number  
> WAN interface?

I don't understand him to be *precluding* anything. However, I do  
believe that he is saying that an ISP generally has more to configure  
on a CPE router than the interface address; it will have the  
recommended DNS server, the prefix that the SOHO/Residence will subnet  
internally, if DS-Lite is in use it will have the necessary  
information to configure a tunnel, and so on. He is saying that if  
that is the case, one may as well get the interface address from the  
DHCP server as well.

I think the question before the house is whether the ISPs, such as  
Telecom Italia, agree with that viewpoint. Certainly you can *use*  
SLAAC in your network. Would you rather the specification *recommend*  
SLAAC? If so, do you have a recommendation regarding the other  
matters? Would you prefer that the document simply recommend that CPE  
equipment support both options?

I am not expressing an opinion here; I know of networks in which DHCP  
seems like a better choice and networks in which SLAAC is a perfectly  
reasonable solution. I think it is important that you - and other ISPs  
- state their opinions however.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA623