Subject: Some comments on draft-ietf-v6ops-v6inixp-03.txt

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:11:10 -0300

Hello, Roque,

Here's some feedback on the aforementioned I-D.

* Editorial *

Abstract:

>    This document provides a guide for IPv6 deployment in Internet

s/a guide for/guidance on/

>    Exchange Points (IXP).  It includes information regarding the switch

s/information/advice/

>    fabric configuration, the addressing plan and general organizational
>    tasks to be performed.  IXPs are mainly a layer 2 infrastructure and

s/to be/that need to be/

>    in many case the best recommendations state that the IPv6 data,

s/case/cases/
s/state/suggest/

Introduction:

>    Most Internet Exchange Points (IXP) work on the Layer 2 level, making
>    the adoption of IPv6 an easy task.

s/work on/work at/

I found it hard to parse this sentence:

> This document clarifies the impact of IPv6
>    on a new or an existing IXP that may or may not fit any particular
>    deployment.

Section 2:

> However, some management
>    functions require explicit IPv6 support (such as switch management,
>    SNMP support and flow analysis exportation) and this should be
>    assessed by the IXP operator.

Include a (Informative)  reference to the SNMP spec.

>        scenario, participants will typically configure dual stack

s/dual stack/dual-stack/

BTW, in this text:

>        scenario, participants will typically configure dual stack
>        interfaces, although independent port can be an option.

You meant something like "...will typically configure interfaces as
dual-stack, although independent interfaces could be possibly used for
each version of IP"?

>        traffic.  If IXP participants are already using Virtual LAN
>        (VLAN) tagging on their routers interfaces that are facing the
>        IXP switch,

Rephrase as "If IXP participants are already using Virtual LAN (VLAN)
tagging on those interfaces of their routers that are facing the IXP
switch...."

>    Conversely, the dual stack implementation allows a quick and capital
>    cost-free start-up for IPv6 support in the IXP, allowing the IXP to

s/dual stack/dual-stack/

Maybe s/capital cost-free/inexpensive/ ?

P.S.: More in the pipeline!

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: Roque Gagliano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:05:34 -0200

Thanks Fernando for your review.

> s/a guide for/guidance on/
done.

>>   Exchange Points (IXP).  It includes information regarding the  

In SFP we decided to be informational and not BCP.

>>   tasks to be performed.  IXPs are mainly a layer 2 infrastructure  
done

>>   in many case the best recommendations state that the IPv6 data,
done
>>   on a new or an existing IXP that may or may not fit any particular
I deleted the sentence.

> Include a (Informative)  reference to the SNMP spec.

done

>>       scenario, participants will typically configure dual stack

done.

> dual-stack, although independent interfaces could be possibly used for

correct.

> tagging on those interfaces of their routers that are facing the IXP

done.

> Maybe s/capital cost-free/inexpensive/ ?

not the same concept. I rather leave the original sentence.

> P.S.: More in the pipeline!

Thanks again.

Roque.

> Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------
Roque Gagliano
LACNIC
[email-masked]
GPG Fingerprint: E929 06F4 D8CD 2AD8 9365  DB72 9E4F 964A 01E9 6CEE