Subject: [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lee-v4v6tran-problem-00]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:40:10 +1200

This should help to clarify the reasons for publishing
draft-carpenter-v4v6tran-framework

    Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [v4tov6transition] FW: New Version Notification for	draft-lee-v4v6tran-problem-00
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:39:02 -0400
From: Yiu L. Lee <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>

------ Forwarded Message
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:24:03 -0700
To: Yiu Leung Lee <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-lee-v4v6tran-problem-00

A new version of I-D, draft-lee-v4v6tran-problem-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Yiu Lee and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-lee-v4v6tran-problem
Revision:  00
Title:   Problem Statements of IPv6 Transition of ISP
Creation_date:  2010-08-30
WG ID:   Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 10

Abstract:
The IETF has defined a number of technologies and techniques that
targets the transition from IPv4 to IPv6.  Documented techniques
identify high level use cases and generalized options for networks.
Operators may have difficulty attempting to apply the documented
techniques to their networks since each network and system operates
uniquely within the global Internet.  Operators may require guidance
on how to identify the appropriate technology, or technologies, and
apply them to their specific environments.  This memo describes the
problem statements related to the transition of operator's networks
to IPv6.

The IETF Secretariat.

------ End of Forwarded Message

_______________________________________________
v4tov6transition mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v4tov6transition

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:41:26 +0900

>   o  What is the recommended prefix length for a large operator?
>
>   o  What is the recommended prefix length for a medium operator?
>
>   o  What is the recommended prefix length to hand out to customers?
>
>   o  What is the recommended longest prefix length an operator should
>      accept from customers?

you gotta love it.  we spend a decade getting the ietf out of telling
operators how to run our business, and here we go again.

<sigh>

randy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:40:56 +1200

> operators how to run our business, and here we go again.

I agree that the end product in this case shouldn't be firm
recommendations (see draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary for
the discussion). But the reasons why different lengths suit
different cases are worth describing.

    Brian