Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-carpenter-v4v6tran-framework

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:14:35 +0800

As a person who has been designing and operating CERNET (IPv4) and
CERNET2 (IPv6), I can share my experience. My comments are

(1) As regards CERNET deployment in 1994, we consulted a lot of
references. Our trick was to get the references from the people who had
been doing the real work. Not the second-hand information.

(2) For the CERNET2 development in 2004, we couldn't find much
information, so we had to do our own trail-and-error. We have designed
CERNET2 as a single-stack IPv6-only network. In 2004, some people said
we should run dual stack. But now, a lot of people told us that the
IPv6-only was the right decision. Similar things have happened with
IPv4-over-IPv6 and stateless translation.

So, I applaud this effort and the aspects or dimensions listed in
draft-carpenter-v4v6tran-framework. My point is that the document should
summarize the real work, not only the conceptual discussions.

Regards,

xing

Randy Bush 写道:
>> I applaud any and all such work, but I will note that I'm somewhat
>> skeptical of another IETF effort in this front. The previous
>> experience was a challenge enough.
>
> those who do not remember ngtrans are doomed to repeat it.
>
>> I wonder if similar goals could be met by working on documenting these
>> in a wiki. Write drafts if it helps focus discussion, but turning the
>> crank to produce 10+ RFCs that will get outdated soon enough doesn't
>> seem like worth the effort.
>
> agree. my guess is that documentation is either un-useful pontification
> which lacks detail or is useful but ephemeral.
>
> randy
>
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:31:38 +1200

> My point is that the document should

Exactly! That is the difference today from the previous set
of v6ops scenario documents.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2010-09-11 19:14, Xing Li wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops