Subject: [v6ops] draft-tsou-v6ops-mobile-transition-guide-00

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:33:19 -0700

Hi,

I read the draft " IPv6 Transition Guide For A Large Mobile Operator", which
assumes the use case discussed in " IPv6 Transition Use Case For a Large
Mobile Network" 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhou-v6ops-mobile-use-case-00).

The discussion is fairly broad, and does not address any specific mobile
network operator concerns - OSS & AAA systems transition, private operator
network transition, operator content migration are all generic problems. The
handling of User Devices is the only section that's specific to mobile, and
is about GI-DS-Lite protocol discussion.

The "guidelines" themselves are moot, to the extent that they are specific.
It is not clear what a "Large Mobile Operator" is, and what specific
requirements they impose compared to someone who is not; if it's all about
rapid exhaustion of public and private IPv4 addresses, that's fairly
well-understood, and there are documents (both normative and Informational)
already. 

I am also concerned about the scope of this ID. I think recommendations
specifically for mobile operators are best-determined by the organizations
in charge of them; we should provide them the tools and considerations.

The issues surrounding the GI-DS-Lite protocol should be addressed in that
specification (in softwires) so that they do not remain as open issues as
claimed in this ID.

" A key use of this DNS system is to allow the Serving Gateway to
      locate a PDN Gateway providing access to the core network that the
      subscriber will use.  This may be operator's own core network or
      the subscriber's home network."

The Serving Gateway does not locate the PDN Gateway.

Thanks,

-Rajeev

> 
> On 9/22/10 12:58 AM, "Soininen, Jonne (NSN-FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>> This week is extremely bad. When would you need it?
>> 
>> Cheers,
>> 
>> Jonne.
>> 
>> 
>> On 9/22/10 1:45 AM, "ext Fred Baker" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>> draft-tsou-v4v6tran-mobile-transition-guide
>>> draft-zhou-v4v6tran-mobile-use-case
>>> 
>>> Post comments to [email-masked]

------ End of Forwarded Message