Subject: [v6ops] draft-vandevelde-v6ops-pref-ps-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:12:29 +1300

To log my microphone comment: please state a requirement
that hosts can be configured to ignore the preference signal.

Also, here's a comment I sent to the authors a while back.

    Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-vandevelde-v6ops-pref-ps-00.txt
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:37:50 +1300
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Organization: University of Auckland
To: [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

Looking at the methods of signaling a preference that you list
in section 4.1, I wondered whether you had thought of this
possibility:

(e) have the address assignment mechanism for IPv4 indicate that
IPv6 is preferred, or vice versa.

For example, a DHCP(v4) option that means "Please prefer IPv6"
and a DHCPv6 option that means "Please prefer IPv4",
and similar options for PPP, RA, etc.

Clearly these have to be backwards-compatible options (i.e.
ignored by clients that don't understand them).

That may seem a bit complicated, but it's conceptually very
simple.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter