Subject: [v6ops] ULAs, mDNS, & AppleTalk

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:50:31 -0500

On the IPv6 Ops mailing list, James Woodyatt commented:
> In the meantime, aren't you all glad that mDNS-SD and IPv6-LL 
> just works* out of the box, today, without all that fuss?

To which, Fred Baker responded:
> If I have an extremely limited network, completely unlike
> the one in my home, yes.   Would that it were actually useful.

I am very sympathetic to Fred's comment.  

mDNS does indeed work fine within a single bridged LAN segment.  
However, there is ample experience that large bridged LANs are
an operational disaster.  So the current useful deployment
scope for mDNS is quite limited, and doesn't meet many folks needs.

As I recall, AppleTalk provided a superset of the capabilities 
of mDNS/DNS-SD.  In particular, AppleTalk worked across routed 
LAN segments within a site.  So a solution with those properties
would be useful in Fred's house (and mine).

Back ~18 years ago, one could be connected via AppleTalk/EtherTalk
to LAN segment A in Building 16 and discover/use various
printers/file-servers/other-services that were only connected 
to LAN segment B in Building 12.  There was ample need for 
that capability.

I'm VERY interested in seeing mDNS/DNS-SD get some thoughtful
extensions that provide more nearly AppleTalk-like capabilities
within a site, but without generating all the background traffic
that the Service Location Protocol (SLP) reportedly caused.
This mostly implies thoughtful caching, probably in mDNS-aware
routers.

(I'm not sure where follow-ups belong, probably not on v6ops,
possibly on the Renum list as localised DNS is a recent discussion 
topic there, and mDNS/DNS-SD are in-process to be published 
as IETF standards-track.)

Yours,

Ran

---

From: "Don Sturek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 06:15:19 -0800

+1

The extensions to m-DNS are exactly what is needed for our smart energy
application.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of RJ
Atkinson
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [v6ops] ULAs, mDNS, & AppleTalk

Yours,

Ran

_______________________________________________
v6ops mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:19:14 +0100

> as IETF standards-track.)

[email-masked] ?

Home Networking (homenet)

Current status: Proposed Working group
Last Updated: 2010-09-09

Chairs:
	TBD1
	TBD2

TBD Area Directors:
	TBD3
	TBD4

Internet Area Advisor:
	TBD3

Mailing List: 
	Address: [email-masked]
	To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet
	Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/homenet

Description of working group:
-----------------------------

Home networks are used for communication among networked devices
deployed within a home or home office, and for communication with the
Internet at large. The manner in which a home network is used is
evolving, at times resulting in interoperability and/or performance
problems.

A home network can include a variety of data-link technologies, such as
Ethernet, 802.11, 802.15.4 or power line communication.  Connected
devices may be as diverse as personal computers, televisions, digital
video recorders, telephones, computing tablets, digital cameras, gaming
consoles, audio output speakers, smart electricity meters, light
switches, toys, printers, routers and more. The home network provides
local connectivity, Internet connectivity through one or more Internet
Service Providers, and connectivity to closed networks, such as
corporate VPNs and walled garden services. Home networks offer unique
challenges not only because of the wide range of devices, applications,
and user types, but also because they are typically not actively
managed.

The broad purpose of the home networking (HOMENET) working group is to
describe the home network IP architecture and to work on clarifications
and improvements to IETF protocols to allow the home network to better
meet present and anticipated future requirements. The HOMENET working
group will deliver recommendations related to the use of IETF-specified
technologies such as TCP, IPv6, DNS, and IP routing protocols and will
not overlap with specifications related to system-level or link-layer
technologies developed by other standards bodies.

The working group will work together with other standards development
organizations that define requirements and specifications on home
networking devices (including groups such as the Home Gateway
Initiative, Broadband Forum, CableLabs, UPnP, DLNA, etc.).

Extensions to IETF technologies will typically occur in the relevant
working groups chartered to maintain those technologies, based on
recommendations and requirements from the HOMENET working group. When
appropriate, the HOMENET working group itself may advance protocol
specifications with close review from any affected working groups in the
IETF.

The initial deliverable for the HOMENET working group is a Home
Networking Architecture document. This document will define terminology,
specific problem statements, and describe how various solution areas fit
together. These areas include, but are not limited to:

* Routed home - automatic prefix assignment and distribution of other
 configuration information in a network with multiple routers, subnets
 and data link types.

* Simple naming for entities in the home network, so they can be
 accessed from within the home network as well as from elsewhere on the
 Internet.

* Support for connections to multiple Internet service providers or
 closed networks (VPNs, walled gardens) at the same time.

* Effective queuing and forwarding mechanisms to enable efficient
 communication between network segments of different speeds, latencies
 and error rates.

* Reasonable default network layer security in accordance with known
 and/or expected threats, while not hindering the deployment of new
 applications or transport layer protocols.

* Support for DNSSEC validation within the home network.

Goals and Milestones:
---------------------

Nov 2010 - Initial revision of a Home Network Architecture document
Mar 2011 - Adopt a Home Network Architecture document as a WG item
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for Routed home requirements
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for Simple naming requirements
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for Multi-homing requirements
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for QoS requirements
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for Security requirements
Mar 2011 - Individual drafts as WG candidates for DNSSEC requirements
Jul 2011 - Recharter the working group
Dec 2011 - Submission of the Home Network Architecture document to the IESG

cheers,
Ole