Subject: [v6ops] new draft: draft-ma-v6ops-ipv6-address-assignment

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 05:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new draft has been posted, at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ma-v6ops-ipv6-address-assignment. Please take a look at it and comment.

---

From: "Mukom Akong T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 22:37:24 +0400

Hello all,

I am a total newbie to posting here so please forgive any lapses in
protocol. I've got some comments

In section 3 (2) it is mentioned  "....MiFi should receive a /60 prefix
for downstream interface, can address 2^4 hosts" I believe the author meant
to say 2^4 subnets (each being of size /64). Same mistake is made for 3 (3)
which should be

On second thoughts, a typical MiFI (apart from the 3G or 4G wireless WAN
interface) typically only has one subnet behind it. In this case I believe
a single /64 (received through DHCPv6-PD) will suffice.

In section 3 (4), while a broad recommendation of "one or more /48s" might
serve as a default recommendation, I'd rather go with "A single /48 but it
is highly recommended that proper address planning be done to estimate
exactly how many /48s are required" ... or something similar.

I'd rather also use the term "End site" rather than user so as to avoid
confusion. 1 million users on a GGSN is not necessarily need 1 million /64s.

In 4 (4) the authors says "Each CPE need a / 64 LAN interface address and
a /56 WAN interface address&#65292". I am curious, why a /56 on a WAN
interface?

Regards

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> A new draft has been posted, at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ma-v6ops-ipv6-address-assignment. Please
> take a look at it and comment.
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>

-- 

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------