Subject: Re: [v6ops] On IPv6 address part naming

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 20:28:23 +0100

netgear user manual calls it a "quartet":

"IPv6 addresses are denoted by eight groups of hexadecimal quartets
  separated by colons"

Alex

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
http://www.avast.com

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 17:44:48 +0100

Sorry, following up on my own post, about other SDOs:

It is called a "16-bit piece of the address" by
the Single Unix Specification 2013 of the Open Group 
https://www2.opengroup.org/ogsys/catalog/t101

inet_pton ()
[...]
> The preferred form is "x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x", where the 'x' s are the
> hexadecimal values of the eight 16-bit pieces of the address.
>
[...]
>
> "x:x:x:x:x:x:d.d.d.d", where the 'x' s are the hexadecimal values of
> the six high-order 16-bit pieces of the address, and the 'd' s are
> the decimal values of the four low-order 8-bit pieces of the address
> (standard IPv4 representation).

Alex

Le 08/12/2014 20:28, Alexandru Petrescu a écrit :
> --- L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée
> par le logiciel antivirus Avast. http://www.avast.com
>
> _______________________________________________ v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 08:42:49 +1300

> https://www2.opengroup.org/ogsys/catalog/t101

How sensible.

   Brian

> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:16:47 +0100

The D-Link users manual is confused about how to name this 16-bit:

"Note: Stateful DHCPv6 is supported after the IPv6 address 16-bit.  For 
example: Interface ID range from 1 to ffff, IPv6 address range from 
2111:123:123:123::1 to 2111:123:123:123::ffff".

'Tetragrammaton' and 'quadriliteral' may have helped better than '16-bit'.

Alex