Subject: [v6ops] new draft: draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 04:47:01 -0800

A new draft has been posted, at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes. Please take a look at it and comment.

---

From: Ray Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:07:23 +0100

> A new draft has been posted, at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elkins-v6ops-multicast-virtual-nodes. Please take a look at it and comment.

I've read this draft.

IMHO It should be blindingly obvious to anyone configuring up an IPv6 
network, whether physical or virtual, that if you connect up multiple 
customers at L2, then they will be able to communicate with both unicast 
and multicast.

"Works as designed."

Now perhaps good-practice design-experience for IPv6 might need to be 
re-learned from IPv4 hosting, but I don't see anything earth-shaking in 
the problem description.

Existing mitigation mechanisms could include: assigning a SVI/VLAN with 
a unique /64 per customer ± uRPF ± ACL's ± PBR, or L2 Private VLANs.

All  are already widely available from a vendor near you, both in real 
and virtual form.

-- 
Regards,
RayH