Subject: [v6ops] Protocol Action: An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:10:07 -0700

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers
  (rfc3068) to Historic

This protocol action is documented at:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-rfc-3068-anycast-prefix-for-6to4-to-historic/

A URL of the affected document is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3068/

Status Change Details:

RFC Status Change :  RFC 3068 An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay 
Routers and RFC 6732 Provider managed tunnels to historic

RFC 3068 introduces a "6to4 anycast address" in order to simplify
the configuration of 6to4 routers.  It also defines how this address
will be used by 6to4 relay routers, how the corresponding "6to4
anycast prefix" will be advertised in the IGP and in the EGP.  The
memo documents the reservation by IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority) of the "6to4 relay anycast prefix."

draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt requests that RFC 3068, 
"An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers", be made obsolete and 
moved  to historic status. It does so because the mechanism is 
considered unsuitable for  widespread deployment and use in the 
Internet. further recommendations are made for the operations of 
existing 6to4 anycast services.

draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11 obsoletes RFC 6732 "6to4 Provider 
Managed Tunnels".  It recommends that future products should not support 
6to4 anycast and that existing deployments should be reviewed.

Personnel 

   Joel Jaeggli is the responsible Area Director.