Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'SIIT-DC: Stateless IP/ICMP Translation for IPv6 Data Centre Environments' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:47:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SIIT-DC: Stateless IP/ICMP Translation for IPv6 Data Centre
   Environments'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc-03.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-siit-dc/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the use of the Stateless IP/ICMP Translation
   (SIIT) algorithm in an IPv6 Internet Data Centre (IDC).  In this
   deployment model, traffic from legacy IPv4-only clients on the
   Internet is translated to IPv6 upon reaching the IDC operator's
   network infrastructure.  From that point on, it may be treated
   the same as traffic from native IPv6 end users.  The IPv6 endpoints
   may be numbered using arbitrary (non-IPv4-translatable) IPv6
   addresses.  This facilitates a single-stack IPv6-only network
   infrastructure, as well as efficient utilisation of public IPv4
   addresses.

   The primary audience is IDC operators who are deploying IPv6,
   running out of available IPv4 addresses, and/or feel that dual
   stack causes undesirable operational complexity.  Working Group
   Summary

Working Group Summary

   The only real question was whether it belonged in the WG. The
   WG, in discussion, determined that it constituted an operational
   procedure comparable to 464xlat, and was therefore within charter.

Document Quality

   The document describes something that is in fact implemented in
   at least four products from three vendors, and is in use in the
   author's networks and in other networks, as discussed at IETF
   93.

Personnel

   Fred Baker is the document shepherd. The AD is Joel Jaeggli.