Subject: [v6ops] Follow-up Discussion - draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices - Enterprise and Service Provider Applicability

From: Victor Kuarsingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:00:20 -0400

V6ops,

We apologize for the delay from IETF93/Prague on getting discussions out 
for key topics on the draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices document. We are 
sending out three separate emails to keep the discussion trains split 
for the three topics.

The first discussion is applicability for Service Provider (SP) and 
Enterprise.  The original work was focused on SP environments, but the 
scope was expanded in early 2015 to address input from operators who 
found that addressing Enterprise use cases was important.  Since that 
group - Large Enterprise - is seen a significant part of the readership, 
and that group would benefit form this type of document, it was 
considered sound to include Enterprise network environments.

Following the addition of Enterprise (and such items as EIGRP as an IGP 
to consider), there was additional conversation at IETF93/Prague to 
break-out the Enterprise conversation into a separate document.

The current posture of the document (and text which will be seen in 
version -09 of draft) is to consider both SP and (Large) Enterprise.  
The design choices are in many regards common to these types of 
environments.  We understand there are differences once you dig into 
details within each general use case, but the document is designed to 
provide the general options set and allow a smart/well versed designer 
to then apply the guidance to their network.

If the group feels strongly that this approach is no longer valid 
(include Enterprise), that input would be appreciated.

regards,

Victor K