Subject: [v6ops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01.txt

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:28:51 -0700

Changes from 00
  - Moved motivation section earlier in the draft and expanded it
  - ILA addresses (locators) are only used in destination addresses
  - Description the networking virtualization architecture with
reference to NVo3 arch
  - Moved techniques to generated task identifiers to the appendix
  - Update email address

Thanks,
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01.txt
To: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tom Herbert and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-herbert-nvo3-ila
Revision:       01
Title:          Identifier-locator addressing for network virtualization
Document date:  2015-10-09
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          30
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-nvo3-ila/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01

Abstract:
   This specification describes identifier-locator addressing (ILA) in
   IPv6 for network virtualization. Identifier-locator addressing
   differentiates between location and identity of a network node. Part
   of an address expresses the immutable identity of the node, and
   another part indicates the location of the node which can be dynamic.
   Identifier-locator addressing can be used to efficiently implement
   overlay networks for network virtualization

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 17:36:22 +0000

>-----Original Message-----
>From: v6ops [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tom Herbert
>Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 1:29 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [v6ops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-01.txt

>  - Moved motivation section earlier in the draft and expanded it

This is great because even my thought was to have the motivation section earlier in the draft so that folks would know why the work is needed.  When I get a chance I will review the latest version and get back to you all.

Thanks,

Hemant

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:20:36 +0000

>  - ILA addresses (locators) are only used in destination addresses

Since multicast traffic is routed using the src-address of the packet, won't we need ILA addresses in source addresses? 

Thanks,

Hemant

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:24:00 -0700

> Since multicast traffic is routed using the src-address of the packet, won't we need ILA addresses in source addresses?
Yes, good point! I imagine that a multicast sender should use an ILA
address and not SIR address in the source. At a receiver the source
address should be translated back to the SIR address before delivery
to the application, however we also want to allow multicast receivers
that don't participate in ILA so it would be possible to receive
multicast packets with an ILA source address.

Tom