Subject: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world WGLC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 11:00:02 -0800

This is to initiate a two week working group last call of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world.  
Please read it now. If you find nits (spelling errors, minor suggested
wording changes, etc), comment to the authors; if you find greater
issues, such as disagreeing with a statement or finding additional
issues that need to be addressed, please post your comments to the
list.

We are looking specifically for comments on the importance of the
document as well as its content. If you have read the document and
believe it to be of operational utility, that is also an important
comment to make.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:34:22 +1300

I've read it. I think it is useful and important factual information
that should be published as soon as possible. The community needs to
understand the operational issues with extension headers.

Regards
   Brian

On 09/11/2015 08:00, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:51:38 +0000

Fred, Fernando, Jen and Tim,

As you know this topic is of high interest to me, so, please accept my
comments as token of appreciation of your work for improvement:

- data dates back to August 2014... Would it be possible to have a refresh
dated late 2015? Some operators have reacted to your I-D and the situation
(per my own measurements) has improved
- section 2 should state the TCP flags used (probably just SYN)
- (cosmetic) I would remove table 2 as it is a duplicate of table 1 (and
same for table 3/4)
- somewhere you should mention that using Alexa is somehow restrictive as
not everyone is going to the big players (who also uses their own
CDN/infra)
- (dream mode on) it would be nice to have another column 'dropped by CDN'
- I appreciate the new shorter format ;-)

This is an important topic, so, I would love to have fresher result
(perhaps even comparing 2014 vs 2015) without changing too much the text
(except above comment).

-éric

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:56:01 +0000

Fernando's report at IETF 94 was that the situation had not substantially changed. Maybe you want to put the operators you mention in touch with Fernando et al?

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 11:51 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 01:12:42 +0900

Hi, Eric,

> comments as token of appreciation of your work for improvement:

Thanks!  Comments in-line....

> (per my own measurements) has improved

I'll double-check and apply the necessary refreshment. My recollection
of me repeating the measurements over time is that they didn't change
significantly, but I'll recheck -- thanks for pointing it out, and
thanks for repeating the measurements, btw!

> - section 2 should state the TCP flags used (probably just SYN)

Yes.

> - (cosmetic) I would remove table 2 as it is a duplicate of table 1 (and

Me, I agree. IIRC this was added on request of at least someone in the
wg,,, so I'll wait for other to weigh in, but note that I'm in favor of
the change,,,

> not everyone is going to the big players (who also uses their own

Would you mind elaborating? mm... you argue that some popular (Top 1M)
simply don't show up in Alexa's rate, or something else?

> - I appreciate the new shorter format ;-)

:-)

> (perhaps even comparing 2014 vs 2015) without changing too much the text

I'll update the numbers. Comparing (given the number of types of
measurements would probably be difficult, however)...

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 00:37:37 +0000

> On Nov 11, 2015, at 1:12 AM, Fernando Gont <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Quantcast also has a "top million", and while there is a large overlap, there are at least some differences in ordering. Both have some "interesting" members, such as Alexa's

	1993,zhidao.baidu.com/user/admin

and both have some (apparently) very popular sites whose name contains a space - "Hidden profile".

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 03:04:57 +0900

> believe it to be of operational utility, that is also an important

I have read this and believe it to be useful.

Nit:
I think that the acronyms in the tables (e.g DO8, FH512) should be
expanded, preferably close to the table.

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:17:28 +0800

Dear all,

I've read this document and think it provides valuable information to the
community in terms of what is the reality with ipv6 extension headers.

I like Eric's proposal to remove the (mostly duplicate) tables.

Best wishes
Qiong

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Qiong <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> ==============================================
> Qiong Sun
> China Telecom Beijing Research Institude
>
>
> Open source code:
> lightweight 4over6: *http://sourceforge.net/projects/laft6/
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/laft6/>*
> PCP-natcoord:* http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcpportsetdemo/
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcpportsetdemo/> *
> ===============================================
>
>

-- 
==============================================
Qiong Sun
China Telecom Beijing Research Institude

Open source code:
lightweight 4over6: *http://sourceforge.net/projects/laft6/
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/laft6/>*
PCP-natcoord:* http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcpportsetdemo/
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcpportsetdemo/> *
===============================================

---

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:20:38 +0800

Dear all,

Best wishes
Qiong

Open source code: