Subject: [v6ops] AERO and enterprise mobile VPN

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 20:56:03 +0000

Hello,

Enterprise mobile device users need a way to get back into the enterprise via
the Internet when they are coming in from some form of off-campus access
link. For this, mobile devices are more and more beginning to use VPN clients
that can establish a secure tunnel via an enterprise border security gateway.
But, a mobile VPN client that uses AERO can receive a prefix delegation from
the enterprise that it can retain and use wherever it happens to move to.

AERO can be used for maintaining a mobile VPN service for enterprise mobile
devices. The service can be built into the enterprise network, and the client
functions can be integrated with common VPN clients such as OpenVPN. This
would give end systems a mobile multi-addressing capability that does not
require renumbering even as the end system moves between on- and off-
campus access links.

IMHO, this is a compelling use case as enterprise networks come in a vast
array of shapes and sizes. Comments welcome.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]