Subject: [v6ops] Update on SLAAC renum I-Ds

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 10:40:55 -0300

Folks,

Based on the recent/ongoing discussion, I've done the following:

* I have split all the CPE improvements into a stand-alone. So we now
have the following I-Ds:

 + draft-gont-v6ops-slaac-renum:
   Problem statement and operational mitigations

 + draft-gont-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum:
   Improvements to Customer Edge Routers.

 + draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum:
   Protocol update proposals (working on it right now)

I believe the problem becomes more tractable/actionable this way, since
we can agree, separately, on the problem statement, possible CPE
improvements, and possible protocol updates/improvements.

Some specific comments:
  + draft-gont-v6ops-slaac-renum:
    This version suggests a much longer VL, as suggested by Owen. And it
    also  clarifies that the home network/cpe case is *one* of the
    possible flash-renumbering scenarios.

  + draft-gont-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum:
    I still need to address some of the feedback received from Owen and
    Ted. Namely, evaluate to send A=0,L=0, instead of advertising 0
    lifetimes, and go through other possible improvements for the CPE
    side.

While there's certainly work to be done in these documents, I believe we
are at a point where the group could make a decision on whether to
pursue this effort.

P.S.: Your feedback on the I-Ds will be welcome!

Thanks!

Cheers,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492