Subject: [v6ops] Android and DHCPv6 IA_NA/IA_TA

From: David Farmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:39:23 -0500

Lorenzo,

You seem to be saying Android can't enable DHCPv6 with IA_NA because if it
does everyone's smartphones and tablets will be forced into a world of 1
IPv6 address per device. I'm not saying your wrong, that is a valid
concern. All I can say is on my network, I'm happy to provide SLAAC for
people's smartphones and tablets.

However, those very same tablets you are worried about, are being glued to
the walls of buildings and used as smart signs outside of conference rooms
or as room technology controllers all over my campus, and Android
embedded devices are being installed in our steam plants and
mechanical rooms all over my campus and around the world. Are you saying
for the sake of everyone's smartphone and tablet, we can't have DHCPv6 with
IA_NA for those embedded Android devices and those tablets glued to the
wall?

So, if you are tell me that those tablets glued to the wall each need 5
IPv6 addresses, ok, cool, done! But please don't tell me that those tablets
glued to my walls each need 2^64 addresses or that I can't tell the tablets
glued to the wall which 5 IPv6 addresses they each get to use.

I'm hoping if Android allowed DHCPv6 with IA_NA but required a minimum
number of IA_NA say maybe 5, or 2 IA_NA and 3 IA_TA, whatever makes sense
but try to keep it moderate.

This sends the message that restricting devices to only a single IPv6
address is unacceptable. Furthermore, that would force people to think
about things and not just do what they are doing with IPv4 because that is
what they are used to doing. These are all good things, and at least in my
mind are all consistent with RFC7934.

The problem with your current stance is that it basically means Android
devices, especially embedded devices, can't be used on IPv6 networks that
have good reasons to use the managed address paradigm provided by DHCPv6
with IA_NA.

I still support RFC7934, but Android is used for a lot more than just
general-purpose devices and you need to support the kind of network
environment appropriate for these non-general-purpose devices equally as
well.

Thanks.

-- 
===============================================
David Farmer               Email:[email-masked]
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952
===============================================