Subject: [VCARDDAV] TEL Type Definition (Issue 152)

From: Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:47:34 +0100

The proposed resolution to Issue 152 ("TEL Type Definition") seems
reasonable, but previous discussion on the microformats mailing list
suggested that an additional property, "SMS" should be available, since
some companies now advertise numbers to which SMS messages may be sent,
but which do not receive voice calls. See:

  <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2008-January/011292.html>

et seq.

Furthermore, these numbers are often available in the host country only,
and have a short form (say, 5 digits, in the UK), which may not (I
think) match international telephone URI patterns. Example:

  <http://www.hulahoops.com/content/tasty_gadgets/tastygadgets.htm>

   "Text your code followed by your answer "A", "B" or "C" to 81018
   (G.B.) or 53735 (R.O.I)."

-- 
Andy Mabbett
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:11:18 -0400

Hi Andy,

>    (G.B.) or 53735 (R.O.I)."

We could add an SMS property as an extension to mirror TEL and define it to 
be an sms URI (<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-sms-uri-15>).

As commented by others, this would be better defined in the "collected 
useful extensions to VCARD" document.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:45:08 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Cyrus Daboo
<[email-masked]> writes

>>numbers to which SMS messages may be sent,
>We could add an SMS property as an extension to mirror TEL and define
>it to be an sms URI (<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-sms-
>uri-15>).

A correspondent has pointed out that:

        the "tel:" URI scheme (see RFC 3966) includes a "phone- context"
        parameter which may take either a domain name or an
        international prefix as its value.

                e.g. emergency dialling in the UK
                tel:999;phone-context=+44
                tel:999;phone-context=uk

        Note that a phone context of +44 does *not* therefore imply that
        the  full phone number is '+44999'. It is a phone context, not a
        phone  prefix.

        Note that 'uk' is a domain name, of which 'co.uk' is a
        sub-domain, 'example.co.uk' is a subdomain further, etc. 'uk'
        itself does not  resolve to any host, but the RFC explicitly
        allows domain names which  do not resolve to any host.

        e.g. dial '1' for reception in a hotel
        tel:1;phone-context=hotel.example.com

>useful extensions to VCARD" document.

Where can that document be found - or is it hypothetical?