Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Issue 236 (Suggestion for allowance of truncated date format in BDAY)

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:49:19 -0400

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 09:52:27 Simon Perreault wrote:
> Now, one remaining issue for experts of that standard. According to Peter
> K. Sheerin, "ISO 8601:2000 has now been superseded by ISO 8601:2004 and
> deletes the ability to truncate the left side of a date." Are we supposed
> to specify ISO 8601:2004 and explicitly allow truncation as specified in
> ISO 8601:2000, or do we just specify ISO 8601:2000?

Anyone?

The current proposal is to specify ISO 8601:2000.

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:56:31 -0400

Hi Simon,

> The current proposal is to specify ISO 8601:2000.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the change in the 2004 ISO spec?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 01:48:55 -0300

Simon Perreault wrote:

>> According to Peter K. Sheerin, "ISO 8601:2000 has now been superseded by
>> ISO 8601:2004 and deletes the ability to truncate the left side of a
>> date."
>> Are we supposed to specify ISO 8601:2004 and explicitly allow truncation
>> as specified in ISO 8601:2000, or do we just specify ISO 8601:2000?
>
> Anyone?
>

I have nothing against ISO 8601:2000 instead of ISO 8601:2004, but I believe
that normative references in standard-track RFC should be to current
specification, not to deprecated ones, and ISO 8601:2004 (page iv) states:
"This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition (ISO 8601:2000),
of which it constitutes a minor revision."

Hope that helps.

Javier

PS: Sometimes, while writing this and the other emails, I felt I was
repeating things I, or someone else, have already written before; please
forgive me if that is the case.