Subject: [VCARDDAV] One question about the SOUND property

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:29:47 +0200

Hi,

The definition of the SOUND property says : By default this property is
used to specify the proper pronunciation of the name property value of
the vCard".

My question is : could it be interesting to have also a
TextPronunciation property which describes with letters how to pronounce
the name property ?

This could be interesting if somebody prints my vCard (the SOUND
property is useless in this case).

Note : I am aware that such a description with letters will often be
valid only for "people speaking the same language" but it's better than
nothing.
For example, if my name is "Newman", as I am french, I'll write
"Nioumane" for the pronunciation by french people, which, I agree, seems
a little bit strange for english speakers but could be usefull in my
country.

Thanks for your answers.

_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:34:51 -0400

Hi [email-masked],

--On July 10, 2008 10:29:47 AM +0200 [email-masked] wrote:

> My question is : could it be interesting to have also a TextPronunciation
> property which describes with letters how to pronounce the name property
> ?
>
> This could be interesting if somebody prints my vCard (the SOUND property
> is useless in this case).
>

If we want to specify pronunciation then we should use the International 
Phonetic Alphabet 
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet>) which I 
believe has character code points in unicode for the symbols it uses. I 
think that would be a language neutral way to do it. I don't know whether 
there are any tools to process IPA text but it would be handy if there were 
an IPA->speech module that could read the IPA and produce the right sound.

If we were to use IPA, it would make more sense to define it as a parameter 
on properties.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo