Subject: [VCARDDAV] Two questions about the IMPP property

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:35:04 +0200

Hi,

I have two questions about the  IMPP property. 

1) In the last specification, the definition of the IMPP property is :
 "To specify the URI for instant messaging and presence protocol
communications with the object the vCard represents"

My question is : how can I differentiate between an IM address and a
presence address (as presence information could be delivered without
any IM environment) ?

2) How can I describe the following use case within the IMPP property :

- my IM address is [email-masked]
- I use Microsoft's windows live messenger : an agreement between Orange
and Microsoft allows Orange's customers  to use
Windows Live Messenger with their [email-masked] addresses (they do not
need address provided by Microsoft)

My question is : is an IM address like [email-masked] sufficient to get
information (e.g. presence) from Microsoft as it is not written in my IM
address that
Microsoft is my IM/presence provider and it could be anybody else ? Does
IMPP property need or not to describe both my IM address and the
presence information provider ?

Thanks for your explanations.  
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:29:25 -0600

> I have two questions about the  IMPP property.

I notice that RFC 4770 started out as "IMPP" but ended up as "IM". We 
may want to make the same distinction here.

> presence address (as presence information could be delivered without

We either need two different properties, or we need to allow the use of 
pres: URIs in the IMPP property.

> - my IM address is [email-masked]

That is not a URI. Per RFC 4770 you need to include a URI, not an 
"address" (whatever that is).

> information (e.g. presence) from Microsoft 

No it is not.

> as it is not written in my IM 
> address that

Perhaps your instant messaging URI is:

sip:[email-masked]

msn:[email-masked]

Or perhaps your instant messaging and presence URIs are:

im:[email-masked]

pres:[email-masked]

At least, they might be if the Windows Live Messenger service supports 
the proper resolution of im: and pres: URIs.

Check with your provider to find out. :)

/psa