Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Some remarks bout the vCard 4.0/0.3

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:50:09 -0300

Jean-Luc Schellens wrote:

> 2 KIND: really key and very useful but if KIND replaces GROUP (see 14), 
> would it still be possible to have a hierarchy like PARENT GROUP in the Mac 
> Address Book?
>
> 14 Why “GROUP” is removed? No more hierarchy with “PARENT GROUP” like the 
> Mac AB!

There never was a GROUP property. The feature removed in version -02 was the 
GROUP.PROPERTY production (e.g., A.ADR, A.TEL), which is unrelated to the 
"group" KIND.

What we discussed was whether groups should refer their members or members 
should refer the groups they belong. 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg00117.html
In that context (IIRC) a GROUP property was suggested, as the inverse of 
MEMBER.

> 3 N would have a “Family Name Prefix” for the small caps part of an 
> “aristocratic” name (see 11)
> 11 SORT-STRING would be based on the “last name prefix” type for the 
> “aristocratic” sorting like in the “van der Harten” example.

Is there any advantage in providing that separation in the N property?
 IMHO is already clear that “van der Harten” is the last name and it collates 
as "Harten".

> 6 LANG would be an identification property with parameters to define the 
> level (e.g; Mother, Fluent, Business practice...well known issue for 
> Canadian and Belgian ;o)

It can be represented by using the "q" parameter (e.g., LANG:fr,en\;q=0.9)
For instance q=1.0 (the default) means a strong preference for that language 
(usually the mother one). High q values mean fluent, and low q values mean 
some minimal knowledge.
I don't know how "Business practice" fits within this approach.

> 7 LOGO and PHOTO are maybe redundant!

Maybe, but there is some information there because a photo is different from a 
logo.

> 8 MEMBER & RELATED would be clarified. For me RELATED is more a MEMBER 
> value!

Good point, though I think MEMBER is a particular case of RELATED, not 
otherwise:
 RELATED is a relationship between two entities.
 MEMBER refers to an individual who belongs to the group the vCard represents 
(i.e. membership relation).

Note that MEMBER may refer to something other than a vCard object (e.g., a 
mailto: URI), while RELATED is supposed to refer to a vCard. I think we should 
remove this restriction.

> 10 REV would be a multi-value property including the PID for data quality 
> and synchronization purposes

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean a per-property REV value?
In that case it would introduce too much overhead and simple devices would 
just ignore it, note that PIDs are small because of this reason.

> 12 SOUND would be a multi-value property e.g. to store the pronunciations 
> and ringtones related to a card.

If with "multi-value" you mean "PROPERTY:value1,value2", it can be written as
PROPERTY:value1
PROPERTY:value2
which is already allowed. This applies to SOUND, URL and several other 
properties.

> 13 URL would be multi-value property with types like “extranet”, blog”...

Agree. However, it seems it will not be incorporated in the core specification 
(but I think it should be...)
See http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg00448.html for 
the last discussion about this proposal.

Best Regards

Javier 

_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:47:54 -0400

Javier Godoy wrote:
> IMHO is already clear that “van der Harten” is the last name and it 
> collates as "Harten".

For sorting purposes see the SORT-STRING property. "van der Harten" is 
even given in that example!

         FN:Rene van der Harten
         N:van der Harten;Rene;J.;Sir;R.D.O.N.
         SORT-STRING:Harten

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav