Subject: [VCARDDAV] Possible solution for YYYY, YYYY-MM and MM-DD birth (and death?) dates

From: Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:50:27 +0100

>From a discussion elsewhere:

        The bday field is a problem since that many users want not enter
        the year. OpenID [1] solved it so:

                date of birth as YYYY-MM-DD. Any values whose
                representation uses fewer than the specified number of
                digits should be zero-padded. The length of this value
                MUST always be 10. If the End User does not want to
                reveal any particular component of this value, it MUST
                be set to zero. For instance, if a End user wants to
                specify that his date of birth is in 1980, but not the
                month or day, the value returned SHALL be "1980-00-00".

        So the developers could let enter (sic) any of these options:
        "YYYY" (for year), "YYYY-mm" (year-month) or "mm-dd"
        (month-day), and a complete date.

For birth dates of 0000-MM-DD, where the annually-celebrated birthday,
but not the birth year, is known, this might require special rules so as
not to conflict with first-year-BC ISO dates.

[1] <http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_1-01.html >

-- 
Andy Mabbett
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:19:30 -0300

Both OpenID and ISO 8601:2000 representations are semantically equivalent, and
the only difference is about syntax  OpenID is zero-padded while ISO omits
components).

I still think that old ISO 8601:2000 syntax is more elegant (YYYY-MM,
YYYY, --MM-DD), and I don't know why this issue has been delayed so long.

Best Regards

Javier

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andy Mabbett" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:50 PM
Subject: [VCARDDAV] Possible solution for YYYY,YYYY-MM and MM-DD birth (and
death?) dates

> [1]
> <http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_1-01.html >
>
> -- 
> Andy Mabbett