Subject: [VCARDDAV] draft 03 errata

From: Lorenz - Atlantika Arts Software Development <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:37:28 +0200

Hey guys,

I found the website www.vcarddav.org just a few hours ago. It is very
interesting for me, as I have been working with vCard 3.0 for years.

I don't know, if the draft 03
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-03) can still
be discussed, but I have found some issues.

Draft 03 and RFC2426 refer to a "word" named grammar-type, which has not
been defined, nor had it been in RFC2426, RFC2425. I think what you
wanted to refer to, is defined in vCard 2.1
(http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcard-21.txt) as "word = <any printable 7bit
us-ascii except []=:., >". Of course, this does not match the current
character classes like "SAFE-CHAR" or "VALUE-CHAR". I think you should
describe in these terms what you wanted to define. You should notice,
that "word" is not even used consistently. In section 9 there is an
"email-type" defined as '"X-" word', which in other places is described
as "x-name" which is defined as '"x-" 1*(ALPHA / DIGIT / "-")' and this
is not equivalent to '"X-" word'.

Section 5 defines a "valuespec" which is named "text-list". There was
also some trouble with this in RFC2426. But the issue is not remove
completely as you name it "text-value-list" in the rest of the document.

The parameter-types "img-inline-param" and "snd-inline-param" are not
consistent. In the first, "TYPE" is defined as "param-value", in the
latter "TYPE" is defined as "*SAFE-CHAR". I don't think you knowingly
wanted to defined this difference, as "param-value" is not equivalent to
"*SAFE-CHAR".

I did not find any grammar definition for the types "GENDER", "DDAY",
"BIRTH", "DEATH", "IMPP", "LANG", "FBURL", "CALADRURI" and "CALURI".

I recently added some found errata of vCard 3.0 to:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=2426
Some of these are still up-to-date. For example the grammar definition
in section 9 defines for "SOUND" a "snd-line-value" which is not
defined. It should be refered to the "snd-inline-value" instead.
The "key-bin-param" (sec. 9) does not specify a '"VALUE" "=" "binary"'
parameter, which "SOUND" and "PHOTO" do. According to section 5.7. I
think it should also do so.
The "snd-inline-value" is named "snd-line-value", which in this draft is
not a grammatical mistake, but is inconsistent to the "img-inline-value".

If you are interested in some more issues, please let me know.

Best Regards

Markus
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:11:09 -0300

Hi Markus,

"Lorenz - Atlantika Arts Software Development" wrote,

> be discussed, but I have found some issues.

Of course it can be discussed. Indeed, there is plenty of open issues...
Especially, the ABNF has not been updated, and it is (mainly) a copy from RFC
2425/2426 plus some changes.

> us-ascii except []=:., >".

Good catch!

> Of course, this does not match the current
> describe in these terms what you wanted to define.

While SAFE-CHAR is not equivalent to "word", both means "anything but some 
special characters" in the context where they were defined (I guess word is 
7bit  because vCard 2.1 is based on us-ascii). Thus, "word" as used in 
snd-refer-param shoud be replaced by *SAFE-CHAR (or param-value, as in 
"img-inline-param" and "snd-inline-param").

> You should notice, that "word" is not even used consistently. In section 9
> there is an "email-type" defined as '"X-" word', which in other places is
> described as "x-name" which is   defined as '"x-" 1*(ALPHA / DIGIT / "-")'
> and this is not equivalent to '"X-" word'.

Agree. In email-type (and related-type) "x-" word should be replaced by 
x-name.

> completely as you name it "text-value-list" in the rest of the document.

text-list is a list of TEXT-LIST-CHAR, while text-value-list is a list of
text-value.
Both are almos equivalent (the only difference is that TEXT-LIST-CHAR allows
unescaped semicolon, while text-value does not).
text-list is legacy grammar from RFC 2425, which we could safely discard
because it is only mentioned in section 5 of draft -03.

> wanted to defined this difference, as "param-value" is not equivalent to

I think we didn't. IMHO both should be param-value, because SAFE-CHAR allows 
neither semicolon nor escaped-text, then type-parameters cannot be expressed.

param-value  = ptext / quoted-string
ptext  = *SAFE-CHAR

> "BIRTH", "DEATH", "IMPP", "LANG", "FBURL", "CALADRURI" and "CALURI".

It has not been written yet. I think we are waiting for settling some issues 
before, in order to avoid rewriting the ABNF each time.

Best Regards

Javier