Subject: [VCARDDAV] group and property in carddav

From: Mike Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:55:15 -0500

I'm not sure how the group and type options ar really supposed to be
used and how carddav can filter for them

In section 7.4.1 TEL of draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-05

we have the example

WORK.TEL;PREF;TYPE=voice,msg:tel:+1-555-555-5555;ext=5555

In an example in 6.3.2 of draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-01 we have

TEL;TYPE=WORK,VOICE:412 605 0499

There's also the question of how do I filter for a work telephone only?

Should the property name be "WORK,TEL"?

Or do we need a group attribute on the search?

-- 

Mike Douglass                           [email-masked]
Senior Systems Programmer
Communication & Collaboration Technologies      518 276 6780(voice) 2809
(fax)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180

_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:05:52 -0500

> TEL;TYPE=WORK,VOICE:412 605 0499

CardDAV uses vCard 3.0. The vcardrev draft defines vCard 4.0. In 4.0,
some TYPE parameter values, such as WORK, were replaced by groups.

> There's also the question of how do I filter for a work telephone only?

Good question!

Cyrus, what's your take on this? Groups were already present in 3.0 and
they're made more important in 4.0, so it would be nice to be able to
filter on them in CardDAV...

Simon

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:16:44 -0500

Hi Simon,

> filter on them in CardDAV...

CardDAV needs to support the group syntax for searching. I think all we 
need to say is that the name attribute in the prop-filter element will 
match properties with or without group names if no group is explicitly 
specified, but will exactly match a group prefixed property if a group is 
specified.

i.e.: <prop-filter name="TEL"> will match TEL, WORK.TEL, X-VND-EXAMPLE.TEL 
etc, wherase, <prop-filter name="WORK.TEL"> will only match WORK.TEL (and 
not "AWORK.TEL" etc).

I will fix this (as above) and push out a new draft along with an update to 
mkcol-ext as promised last week.

That said, I have been having second thoughts about the changes in 4.0 - I 
am concerned that it is going a lot further than we need to. I am not sure 
that moving WORK and HOME to the group syntax buys us all that much over 
what is done in 3.0, and so, on the grounds of not wanting to introduce too 
many changes in order to promote adoption, we should leave that as-is. I 
need to go back and re-read the whole discussion on this again before 
really deciding on this issue.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:39:41 -0500

Hi,

--On November 24, 2008 4:16:44 PM -0500 Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> i.e.: <prop-filter name="TEL"> will match TEL, WORK.TEL,
> X-VND-EXAMPLE.TEL etc, wherase, <prop-filter name="WORK.TEL"> will only
> match WORK.TEL (and not "AWORK.TEL" etc).
>
> I will fix this (as above) and push out a new draft along with an update
> to mkcol-ext as promised last week.

New CardDAV draft was posted last night with the change as described above 
(and with the same change also applied to the CARDDAV:prop element where it 
is also required).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo