Subject: [VCARDDAV] Issue 236 (Suggestion for allowance of truncateddate format in BDAY)

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:25:41 -0200

I will resume the discussion from 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg00426.html
Comments appreciated.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:49:12 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
>We'll definitely be going with basic format unless someone voices strong
>opposition. Many people mentioned they preferred basic format

While RFC 2425 allows both basic (yyyymmdd) and extended (yyyy-mm-dd) formats, 
support for basic format was dropped in vcarddav-vcardrev-02. Are we moving 
now in the opposite direction? Based on previous discussion I will assume we 
are (if this were not settled yet, it should be a separate issue).

*** ABNF (general) ***

The proposal was defining several tokens in ABNF and reusing them when 
defining property values.

At least we need:

date-complete    = yyyy mm dd
date-reducible   = yyyy [mm [ dd]]
date-truncatable =  date-complete / ("--" mm dd) / ("---" dd)
date-truncatable-reducible = date-reducible / date-truncatable / ( "--" mm )
time-complete    = hh mm ss
time-reducible   = hh [mm [ss]]

Questions:

1. Allow timezone for time / date-time values?
2. Do we need different datatypes?
3. Are we going to specify rules like time-truncated, which are not used in 
vcard because no property allows time-only values?

*** BDAY and DDAY ***
 value = date-truncatable-reducible / (date-truncatable "T" time-reducible)

which allows:
   a) complete date and date-time representations,
   b) date and date-time representations with arbitrarly reduced precision,
   c) date representations truncated to the month, and
   d) date representations truncated to the day

*** REV ***

In RFC 2426, REV was defined as a (complete) date-time, which "can also be 
reset to a single date value". Since the ABNF in draft version 5 is not 
complete, it is not clear if
reduced precision may be applied to this property. It is not also clear if 
issue #236 is intended for BDAY/DDAY only, or for any dated property.

a)  value       = date-complete [ "T" time-complete ]
which only allows complete representations (enough for a revision timestamp)

b)  value        = (date-complete "T" time-reducible) / date-reduceable
which allows date and date-time representations with arbitrarly reduced 
precision (e.g. "REV:2008" and "REV:20081104T05"), but no truncation.

c) (just mentioned here for the sake of completeness) same as BDAY, which 
would allow --mmdd, among other values which are not useful as timestamps.

Best Regards

Javier 

_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav