Subject: [VCARDDAV] SRV records

From: Filip Navara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:54:42 +0100

Hello,
I was wondering how were the CARDDAV/CARDDAVS DNS SRV records supposed to be
used and what's the purpose of them. I was considering to use them for
auto-discovery of services, but I can't quite see how one would find out
principal URI or collection URI from the information in the records. Any
idea?

Best regards,
Filip Navara
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:04:30 -0500

Hi Filip,

--On January 30, 2009 6:54:42 PM +0100 Filip Navara 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I was wondering how were the CARDDAV/CARDDAVS DNS SRV records supposed to
> be used and what's the purpose of them. I was considering to use them for

One of my colleagues put together a little diagram explaining how this 
"client bootstrap" process works for a CalDAV server:

<http://trac.calendarserver.org/export/3625/CalendarServer/trunk/doc/Client-Server/Principal%20Bootstrap.pdf>

The key here for the SRV bit is that the user has to at least provide a 
"domain" for the initial lookup, unless you want to try and find a local 
server. So in the CalDAV case the user enters their calendar user address 
which is typically an email address and the client extracts the domain 
portion of that for use in the SRV lookup. Once it has the SRV record it 
uses the DAV:current-user-principal (RFC 5397) to get to the user's 
principal (by using the userid portion of the email address to login to the 
server), and from the principal resource all other useful information can 
be found.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Filip Navara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:13:02 +0100

Hi,
this looks good and is very close to what I imagined. There's still one
thing that I don't understand though. What if the server has the
CalDAV/CardDAV/WebDAV mapped under non-root URL of a domain (eg.
http://caldav.example.com/webdav/)? I don't see a way to specify this in the
SRV record as specified in the VCARDDAV draft.

Best regards,
Filip Navara

(sorry for double post, forgot to CC the list)

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Filip,
>
>
> --On January 30, 2009 6:54:42 PM +0100 Filip Navara <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
> <
> http://trac.calendarserver.org/export/3625/CalendarServer/trunk/doc/Client-Server/Principal%20Bootstrap.pdf
> >
>
> server), and from the principal resource all other useful information can be
> found.
>
> --
> Cyrus Daboo
>
>