Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] semi-colon in URIs / BNF

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:51:41 -0500

Sorry for replying so late...

On Friday 29 August 2008 03:54:04 Jari Urpalainen wrote:
> in section 5 instead of the paragraph starting with "Compound type
> values..."
>
> Compound type values are delimited by a field delimiter, specified by
> the SEMI-COLON character (ASCII decimal 59). The separated individual
> components MAY have multiple values separated by a COMMA character.
> A SEMI-COLON or a COMMA in a component of a compound property value MUST
> be escaped with a BACKSLASH character (ASCII decimal 92).
>
> In all other cases, a SEMI-COLON or a COMMA character in a property
> value MUST NOT be escaped with a BACKSLASH character.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have reworked the whole thing and here's the new 
text. Do you think it is unambiguous?

   A property instance may contain one or more values delimited by a
   COMMA character (ASCII decimal 44).  Therefore, a COMMA character in
   a value MUST be escaped with a BACKSLASH character (ASCII decimal
   92), even for properties that don't allow multiple instances (for
   consistency).

   Some properties (e.g.  N and ADR) comprise multiple fields delimited
   by a SEMI-COLON character (ASCII decimal 59).  Therefore, a SEMI-
   COLON in a field of such a "compound" property MUST be escaped with a
   BACKSLASH character.  SEMI-COLON characters in non-compound
   properties MUST NOT be escaped.

   Furthermore, some fields of compound properties may contain a list of
   values delimited by a COMMA character.  Therefore, a COMMA character
   in one of a field's values MUST be escaped with a BACKSLASH
   character, even for fields that don't allow multiple values (for
   consistency).  Compound properties allowing multiple instances MUST
   NOT be encoded in a single content line.

   Finally, newline (ASCII decimal 10) and backslash (ASCII decimal 92)
   characters in values MUST be escaped by prefixing them with a
   backslash character.

   In all other cases, escaping MUST NOT be used.

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.