Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] vCard plain text vs XML

From: Peter Mogensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:42:18 +0100

Zahhar Kirillov wrote:
> Actually, I was surprised that vCard 4.0 draft is still in plain text,
> not XML. 

Speaking from having to deal with vCard 2.1/3.0 and iCalendar, I can say 
that I see no advantages of the "plain text" format. It's not really 
plain text anyway and the basic RFC2425 format is modified in different 
ways from application to application. XML has the advantage of being 
able to use standard parsers and is more flexible.

Just my 2 cents.

/Peter

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:46:00 -0700

Everyone,

Please note that the question is not whether you like XML or or less
than the old format. This is irrelevant.

The question is whether the old format should not be updated and instead
we should skip straight to XML.

Note that with the current charter XML is going to be done anwyay.

Simon
-- 
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
Interplanetary news --> http://reeves.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org