Subject: [VCARDDAV] vCard endge standard: help needed!

From: Zahhar Kirillov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:58:16 +0200

Hello, vCard DAV team!

My name is Zahhar Kirillov, I am a postgraduate student of Tallinn's
University, department of IT. This summer I must to defend a master's
thesis and my orbit of interests is Organization Identity Management
(Identity 2.0, Distributed Identity Systems, etc).

I need a little help from vCard community in the questions related to
the vCard edge version (4.0) as well as the latest stable version
(3.0) in aspects of vCard-2-XML and vCard-2-RDF converters. As well, I
will appreciate any feedback and input from vCard Team as standard
enthusiastat, it would be great benefit for my research.

For sure, I am ready for cooperation with you in anything related to
vCard standard evaluation and promotion.

General questions I would like to know right now are:
1. Is there official XML DTD schema for vCard 4.0, or XML DTD 3.0 is
the latest one?
2. Same for vCard standard mapping to RDF, 3.0 and|or 4.0?
3. What are key changes in vCard 4.0 compared to 3.0? Any new paradigm
or field sets? Will 4.0 be still plain-text or XML-based?
4. Will new MIME-type like "text/vcard" be officially registered for vCard data?
5. Is there any information about how vCard structures can be linked
to each other, or to include customer information like public keys,
links to resources, etc?

Actually, I have much more specific questions as well as I am ready to
describe you my idea about "Organization business card" (compared to
electronic business card for private persons, vCard currently is). But
maybe common list is not a good place for this and I should speak to
some dedicated person interested in this conversation?

For operative reply I use gTalk and Skype, but any other protocols not
a problem, just let me know your preferences.

With regards,

Zahhar Kirillov
[email-masked]
Call: +372 5650 2282
Skype: zahharkirillov

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:41:29 -0700

> 1. Is there official XML DTD schema for vCard 4.0, or XML DTD 3.0 is

There is no official XML schema for either vCard 4.0 or 3.0. There have
been a few unofficial ones proposed over the years. Mine is at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-perreault-vcarddav-vcardxml-00.

> 2. Same for vCard standard mapping to RDF, 3.0 and|or 4.0?

None that I know of.

> or field sets? Will 4.0 be still plain-text or XML-based?

Take a look at the spec, especially Appendix A.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-06#appendix-A

> 4. Will new MIME-type like "text/vcard" be officially registered for vCard data?

Yes. Please read the spec, especially Section 3.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-06#section-3

> to each other, or to include customer information like public keys,

Yes. Please read the spec.

Simon
-- 
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
Interplanetary news --> http://reeves.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org