Subject: [VCARDDAV] vCard revision - AN (anniversary)

From: Sly Gryphon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:25:16 +1000

Additional attribute proposal for AN (anniversary), similar to BDAY and
DDAY.

Rationale: Probably the next most important date for contact information
after BDAY -- you could even argue it is more important than DDAY (DDAY
becomes kind of redundant in most cases). Synergises well with a a
RELATED type=partner (i.e. spouse).

AN

   Purpose:  The date of marriage, or equivalent, of the contact
represented by the directory entry.  The value is usually only specified
to the calendar day, without a time component.

   Value type:  The default is a single date value.  It can also be
      reset to a single date-time or text value.

   Cardinality:  (0,1)

   ABNF:

                   param = "VALUE=" ("date" / "date-time" / "text")
                   value = date / date-time / text
                   ; Value and parameter MUST match.

                   param =/ any-param

---

From: Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:18:05 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Sly Gryphon 
<[email-masked]> writes

>to the calendar day, without a time component.

If we are to have such a value (my views are neutral), then it should 
have an optional year component.

It's significant, for instance, to know whether someone is celebrating 
their silver (25th) or ruby (40th) anniversary.

-- 
Andy Mabbett

---

From: Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:25:24 +0100

>Additional attribute proposal for AN (anniversary)

It's worth noting that Portable Contacts has an anniversary property:

        The wedding anniversary of this contact. The value MUST be a
        valid xs:date (e.g. 1975-02-14. The year value MAY be set to
        0000 when the year is not available.

        <http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html#anchor16>

-- 
Andy Mabbett

---

From: Joseph Smarr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:57:31 -0700

Yeah, and not surprisingly this is how I think vCard should handle this
value too! :) Thanks, js

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Andy Mabbett <[email-masked]>wrote:

>  _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav
>

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:28:34 -0300

Hi Joseph,

> Yeah, and not surprisingly this is how I think vCard should handle this

Since draft -07 date values may be truncated (i.e. --mmdd and ---dd)  when the
higher order components are not available, or the vCard author does not want
to disclose them.

The truncation feature was borrowed from ISO 8601:2000. Truncation is
preferable to using 0000, because the latter is a valid year number according
to ISO 8601:2004.

The date value 0000-02-14 in Portable Contacts should be mapped to --0214 in
vCard. The the year component in vCard date value 00000214 represents a known 
year, which cannot
be represented in Portable Contacts without loss of information.

Regards

Javier

>>       http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html#anchor16

---

From: Joseph Smarr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:11:39 -0700

If there's a well-defined 1:1 mapping between vCard and PoCo, that's fine by
me, assuming there are good reasons for not doing exactly the same thing
(which in this case it sounds like there may be due to consistency
constraints). Thanks, js

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Javier Godoy <[email-masked]>wrote:

> vCard. The the year component in vCard date value 00000214 represents a
> known year, which cannot