Subject: [VCARDDAV] CATEGORIES enhanced

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:56:34 +1000

I would like to add some extension to the 7.7.1 CATEGORIES property to  
make it relevant to capturing an individuals interests to supplement  
the category information. Specifically:

  1 - Indicate a Preference/raking of values
  2 - Indicate the source context
  3 - Support URIs for linked data

1 - Preference
=========

Can we add the PERF parameter to the property definition. This will  
enable support to indicate strongly preferred categories over others.

Example:
    CATEGORIES:PREF=1;web science
    CATEGORIES:PREF=5;information management

2 - Source
=======

Can we add the PID parameter to the property definition. This will  
enable the linking between the category values and the source creator.

Example:
   CATEGORIES:PID=1.1;web science, privacy, social networks
   CATEGORIES:PID=2.2;soccer, field hockey
   ...
   CLIENTPIDMAP:1:urn:amazon.com:book:interests
   CLIENTPIDMAP:1:urn:getty.com:aat

3 - URIs
=====

Can we update the Value Type to also include URI values. This will  
enable the value to be directly linked to well known online  
vocabularies.

Example:
   CATEGORIES:Value=URI;urn:word.net:travel-agent

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
NICTA

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 05:42:59 -0300

Renato Iannella wrote:

>
> I would like to add some extension to the 7.7.1 CATEGORIES property to  make
> it relevant to capturing an individuals interests to supplement  the
> category information.

Which version of the draft are you referencing? As of draft-07 both are
included

   param = "VALUE=text" / pid-param / pref-param / any-param

(though I'm not sure about using PID for this purpose)

>
> 3 - URIs
> =====
>
> Can we update the Value Type to also include URI values. This will  enable
> the value to be directly linked to well known online  vocabularies.
>
> Example:

I like this approach, and it is strongly grounded in theory, but in practice
I'm afraid it might affect interoperability, because only a handful of systems
will know how to understand that string in the relevant vocabulary.

Particularly:
* implementations may choose the term from different namespaces, for
representing the same concept
 CATEGORIES:value=urn:x-foobar:business:tourism:travel-agent

* implementations may use different namespaces for the same vocabulary
 CATEGORIES:value=uri:word.net:travel%20agent
 CATEGORIES:value=uri:x-word.net:travel%20agent
 CATEGORIES:value=uri:x-word.net:travel-agent
 CATEGORIES:value=uri:http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=travel%20agent
 CATEGORIES:value=uri:http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn3.0?s=travel%20agent
 
Of course, there are workarounds (such as mappings between vocabularies,and treating some prefixes as equivalent) but this further restrict the systems which will understand the specified value
 
One possibility I can think of is including the URI as an optional parameter (or other similar approaches linking the URI with a plain text value)
 
Example:
 CATEGORIES:uri=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=travel%20agent;travel agent
 
which provides the URI (for semantically-enabled systems) while preserving the text value for simple systems such as PDAs, and other systems that, even when they are semantically-enabled, don't know about the vocabulary.

Best Regards
 
Javier

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:06:38 -0400

Javier Godoy wrote, on 2009-06-29 04:42:
> One possibility I can think of is including the URI as an optional
> parameter (or other similar approaches linking the URI with a plain text
> value)
>  
> Example:

I find this interesting, but I don't think it is suitable for core vCard 4.0. A
separate extension would be a better fit.

Simon
-- 
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
Interplanetary news --> http://reeves.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:33:42 +1000

On 29 Jun 2009, at 18:42, Javier Godoy wrote:

> Which version of the draft are you referencing? As of draft-07 both  
> areincluded

Sorry, my mistake...it is there aleady!

> parameter (or other similar approaches linking the URI with a plain  
> text value)
>
> Example:
> which provides the URI (for semantically-enabled systems) while  
> preserving the text value for simple systems such as PDAs, and other  
> systems that, even when they are semantically-enabled, don't know  
> about the vocabulary.

That sounds like a good option too...

On a related topic....CATEGORIES is the the only pluralistic property  
(all others are singular).
Any plans to change it to CATEGORY (aka ISO11179 conformant)

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:29:59 -0300

> Simon Perreault wrote

What would be the best way, an experimental RFC (maybe a WG product sumarazing
different extensions) or just a submission to IANA as vendor-extension?

Best Regards

Javier

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:09:18 -0400

On Tuesday 30 June 2009 04:29:59 Javier Godoy wrote:
> What would be the best way, an experimental RFC (maybe a WG product
> sumarazing different extensions) or just a submission to IANA as
> vendor-extension?

It would depend on the level of "standardization" that the submitter would 
want to attain.

For a well known example, see the media-types registry.

Simon
-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:19:37 -0400

> Any plans to change it to CATEGORY (aka ISO11179 conformant)

Since it was present under this name in vCard 3.0, I would argue against 
changing it.

Simon