Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Gender coding

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:53:57 +1000

(Apologies for chiming in late on this point....)

 From the discussion of Gender V Sex [1], my preference would be to  
stick to Gender.

I think the main difference is that Sex is more of a biological  
property and Gender more a cultural-societal property (see [2] for a  
discussion)...and hence, Gender is more aligned with vCard's context.

Cheers...
Dr Renato Iannella
Principal Scientist, National ICT Australia (NICTA)
Level 5, Axon Building #47, Staff House Rd, St Lucia, QLD, 4072,  
AUSTRALIA
[research] http://spin.nicta.org.au
[t] +61 7 3300 8520  [f] +61 7 3300 4820 [m] +61 4 1313 2206
[e] [email-masked] [w] http://nicta.com.au
[im] skype:riannella aim:renatoi2003 twitter:riannella

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01005.html
[2] http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/~dgentile/pdfs/gentile_1993.pdf