Subject: [VCARDDAV] CardDAV: UID property

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:24:10 -0400

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken the presence of the UID property in a vCard is a 
CardDAV requirement and not a vCard requirement.

I don't believe the CardDAV draft makes this clear.  I can't find a MUST 
requirement about the presence of UID.

A new precondition (e.g., CARDDAV:valid-addressbook-object-resource) 
should be added for invalid vCard (per CardDAV spec). My understanding 
is that CARDDAV:valid-address-data should be used for invalid vCard (per 
vCard spec).

Also, Section 10.4 leads one to believe that vCard actually requires the 
UID property:

    Furthermore, address object resources specified in the CARDDAV:
    address-data XML element MAY be invalid per their media type
    specification if the CARDAV:address-data XML element part of the
    address book REPORT request did not specify required vCard
    properties (e.g., UID, etc.) 

Cheers,
Bernard

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:20:59 -0400

Hi Bernard,

> requirement about the presence of UID.

Section 5.1 does include a MUST requirement for UID.

> should be added for invalid vCard (per CardDAV spec). My understanding is
> that CARDDAV:valid-address-data should be used for invalid vCard (per
> vCard spec).

Looking at CalDAV we had CALDAV:valid-calendar-data and 
CALDAV:valid-calendar-object-resource. The later was to cover restrictions 
unique to CalDAV - e.g. not allowing mixing of different component types - 
something iCalendar itself allows. CardDAV does not impose any additional 
requirements above vCard itself (except for the UID which is covered by a 
different pre-condition). Thus there is no need for an additional 
pre-condition.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo