Subject: [VCARDDAV] IDN in EMAIL

From: Peter Mogensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:46:22 +0200

Hi,

I was wondering... should international domain names be punycoded in 
property values (like EMAIL)?

The reason I bring this up here is that there seems to be som confusion 
in RFC2426 vs. vCard4 draft.

RFC2426 says:
   3.3.2 EMAIL Type Definition
   Type encoding: 8bit

Which seems to imply that it's perfectly OK in vCard3 to code the 
address [email-masked] in plain QP UTF-8:

EMAIL;type=3DINTERNET;type=3DWORK;type=3Dpref:work@bl=C3=A5b=C3=A6rgr=C3=B8=d.dk

But the vCard4 draft says:
   7.4.2. EMAIL
   Value type:  A single text value
   EMAIL-value = addr-spec  ; from [RFC5322] section 3.4.1

And RFC5322 of course does not deal with IDN and allows only printable 
US-ASCII - which leads me to conclude that vCard4 would require domain 
names to be punycoded.

Am I wrong? Is this change on purpose?

kind regards,
Peter Mogensen