Subject: [VCARDDAV] Comments on draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:01:24 -0700

(First email appeared to fail, sending again.)

Comments on draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09:

Section 6.2.2 N -- Would "Family Name" (which is the terminology used
in section 6.7.5 SORT-STRING) be better than "Surname" for the first
value of
the structure text field (or should it mention both, like
"Surname (also known as Family Name)"?

Section 6.4.1 TEL -- Both examples include TYPE=home, which is no longer
a valid TYPE parameter.

Section 6.4.2 EMAIL -- First example includes TYPE=work; type params no
longer used to indicate categories.

Section 6.4.4 LANG -- Examples include TYPE= parameter; also the third
example should probably be ":fr" not "=fr".

Section 6.5.1 TZ -- Example should be representative of the expected
format, e.g.

     TZ:Raleigh/North America
     TZ:-0500
       ;Note: utc-offset format is not recommended.

Section 6.7.5 SORT-STRING -- is specified as "family name or given
name",
but without any way to distinguish which (family or given) the
sort-string
refers to!

The examples (as noted) are for family name sorting only, but this is
not indicated anywhere in the vCard.

Perhaps the SORT-STRING property should be structure the same as the N
property, i.e. a structured field with "family name;given name".

Also, note the second example appears to have an "additional" name field
in the N property (the N field now only has 4 fields) -- unless the
"Robert"
is supposed to be an Honorific Prefix?

e.g. In the following (made-up) example, the person's family name is "de
Mann",
but is sorted as "Mann", whilst their first given name is "Henry", but
they are sorted as "James".

      FN:H. James de Mann
      N:de Mann;Henry, James
      SORT-STRING:Mann;James

If sorted by given name the results would be:

  Jack Smith
  H. James de Mann
  Janice Chung

If sorted by family name the results would be:
 
  Simon Mafou
  H. James de Mann
  Richard Martin

This implies that sorting is based on the values of the family name and
given name fields from the N property, but replaced by the fields from
SORT-NAME where specified.

All the examples work fine, as the parts of SORT-NAME would be optional
(like they are with N), so a single text value simply replaces the
family name (which is the normal value that needs alternate sorting).