Subject: [VCARDDAV] Comments on draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09 (corrected)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:08:38 -0700

(Replaces earlier emails)

Comments on draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09:

Section 6.2.2 N -- Would "Family Name" (which is the terminology used in
section 6.7.5 SORT-STRING) be better than "Surname" for the first value
of the structure text field (or should it mention both, like "Surname
(also known as Family Name)"?

Section 6.4.4 LANG -- The third example should probably be ":fr" not
"=fr".

Section 6.5.1 TZ -- Example should be representative of the expected
format, e.g.

 TZ:Raleigh/North America
 TZ:-0500
 ;Note: utc-offset format is not recommended.

Section 6.7.5 SORT-STRING -- is specified as "family name or given
name", but without any way to distinguish which (family or given) the
sort-string refers to!

The examples (as noted) are for family name sorting only, but this is
not indicated anywhere in the vCard.

Perhaps the SORT-STRING property should be structure the same as the N
property, i.e. a structured field with "family name;given name".

Also, note the second example appears to have an "additional" name field
in the N property (the N field now only has 4 fields) -- unless the
"Robert" is supposed to be an Honorific Prefix?

e.g. In the following (made-up) example, the person's family name is "de
Mann", but is sorted as "Mann", whilst their first given name is
"Henry", but they are sorted as "James".

 FN:H. James de Mann
 N:de Mann;Henry, James
 SORT-STRING:Mann;James

If sorted by given name the results would be:

 Jack Smith
 H. James de Mann
 Janice Chung

If sorted by family name the results would be:
 
 Simon Mafou
 H. James de Mann
 Richard Martin

This implies that sorting is based on the values of the family name and
given name fields from the N property, but replaced by the fields from
SORT-NAME where specified.

All the examples work fine, as the parts of SORT-NAME would be optional
(like they are with N), so a single text value simply replaces the
family name (which is the normal value that needs alternate sorting).

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:39:53 -0400

> (also known as Family Name)"?

Since this is inspired from X.520 where it is known as "surname", I added "(also
known as family name)".

> Section 6.4.4 LANG -- The third example should probably be ":fr" not

Good catch!

>  ;Note: utc-offset format is not recommended.

Yes, that's better. Changed.

> property, i.e. a structured field with "family name;given name".

I agree. I changed the text to what you propose.

> "Henry", but they are sorted as "James".

Very good example! Thanks!

> If sorted by family name the results would be:

It's a good idea to include this as an example. I did the same with the examples
in the text.

> family name (which is the normal value that needs alternate sorting).

Actually the fields are not optional in N. The examples have to be fixed.

> "Robert" is supposed to be an Honorific Prefix?

Right. Fixed.

Thanks for your comments,
Simon
-- 
DNS64 open-source   --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org