Subject: [VCARDDAV] Fwd: Questions regarding draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-01

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:36:22 -0500

These are good questions, and I would like us to discuss them.

Thanks,
Simon

Subject: Questions regarding draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-01
From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:18:19 -0500

Simon,

Boy, am I happy to see this document! :)

There is a statement in the draft that reads:

"A vCard XML parser MUST ignore XML data qualified by a namespace it does
not understand."

I think this is good, but does it go far enough?  How will this be extended
if the vcard spec is updated to have a new field?  Those would be added as a
part of a namespace it does understand, right?  Or perhaps it will not,
since the device might not understand "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0".

But what if a v4 device receives a vCard that is v5?  It would be really
nice if the v4 device would process the v5 vcard and ignore any element it
does not understand, regardless of the namespace.  Is there a strong need to
insert the version number into the namespace name?

Paul