Subject: [VCARDDAV] social networking id

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:28:17 -0500

Hello,
  Many people today defines themselves by their social networking ID, 
nothing else: no tel, no email, no im, but facebook, twitter, linkedin, 
plaxo, or <choose yours>

URL can be used for providing the social networking id. However, I'm not 
sure it is clear in the current draft for an implementor to use URL for 
social networking ids. We don't want everybody starting to use vendor 
name space or extensions for this.

Morever, it could need to have some text info attached to it, specifying 
the end-user string known for the social networking info. Or we could 
rely on the UI to read the content of the URL and then show a user 
friendly string to describe the URL to the end-user. For example, the UI 
sees facebook.com in the URL, then shows "Facebook" to the user. I'm for 
the latter.

So my proposed change is just to add social networking wording and 
examples to URL prop.

-----
OLD:
    Purpose:  To specify a uniform resource locator associated with the
       object that the vCard refers to.
-----
NEW:
    Purpose:  To specify a uniform resource locator associated with the
       object that the vCard refers to. Examples for individuals can be 
personal web sites, blogs or social networking site identifiers.

-----
OLD:
    Example:
            URL:http://example.org/restaurant.french/~chezchic.html

-----
NEW:
   Examples:
         URL:http://example.org/restaurant.french/~chezchic.html
	URL:http://twitters.org/myid
	URL:http://facebooks.org/myname
	URL:http://linkedins.org/myname

Marc.
-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN news service: http://reeves.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:21:01 +0000

Marc Blanchet wrote:

> nothing else: no tel, no email, no im, but facebook, twitter, 
> linkedin, plaxo, or <choose yours>
>
> URL can be used for providing the social networking id. However, I'm 
> not sure it is clear in the current draft for an implementor to use 
> URL for social networking ids. We don't want everybody starting to use 
> vendor name space or extensions for this.
>
> Morever, it could need to have some text info attached to it, 
> specifying the end-user string known for the social networking info. 
> Or we could rely on the UI to read the content of the URL and then 
> show a user friendly string to describe the URL to the end-user. For 
> example, the UI sees facebook.com in the URL, then shows "Facebook" to 
> the user. I'm for the latter.
>

This looks sensible.

I am still wondering if applications might need to know if one of the 
URLs is a twitter URL, in the sence that it provides a particular type 
of service.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:55:21 -0500

>     URL:http://linkedins.org/myname

I very much agree. I would prefer to leave tagging URLs with the 
services they provide (probably using the TYPE attribute) out of vCard 
base since this is so fuzzy at this point. And I'd like to see the 
social networking draft address this issue.

I also like the mock domains in the example! :)

Simon

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:12:21 -0500

Hi Simon,

--On March 7, 2010 9:55:21 AM -0500 Simon Perreault 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I very much agree. I would prefer to leave tagging URLs with the services
> they provide (probably using the TYPE attribute) out of vCard base since
> this is so fuzzy at this point.

That is what we agreed to do when I brought up this issue with respect to 
the IMPP property. I did write a draft for an extension to support a 
SERVICE-TYPE parameter for IMPP 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-vcard-service-type>). There is no 
reason why that can't be extended to URL or other properties too (and maybe 
merged with the social id though in some ways it does beyond "just" social 
networking).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:49:23 -0700

On 3/7/10 11:12 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> That is what we agreed to do when I brought up this issue with respect
> to the IMPP property. I did write a draft for an extension to support a
> (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-vcard-service-type>). There is
> no reason why that can't be extended to URL or other properties too (and
> maybe merged with the social id though in some ways it does beyond
> "just" social networking).

Yes that seems sensible to me.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/