Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Using IANA templates in our draft

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:05:04 -0500

On 2010-02-28 14:30, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> The current draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-09 does not use the IANA
> templates it defines in Section 10.2 for the entities that it is
> registering in Section 10.3 - specifically the values (Section 4) and
> parameters (Section 5). Also, the "templates" used for properties in
> Section 6 do not match that defined in Section 10.2.3.

This is something I wanted to discuss.

We should not bother IANA with forms and templates. Look at the mess 
that is media-types.

IANA's role is to keep tracks of *names and numbers*. So we should 
restrict ourselves to just the tables that are in section 10.3.

For other information, you just look at the reference. Putting it in the 
registry would be redundant.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:13:42 +0000

> We should not bother IANA with forms and templates. Look at the mess 

As a person who is the IESG stucky for reviewing media types, I would 
actually disagree.
Now, I wish IANA had all registration templates published on their site, 
but that is a separate rant.

> For other information, you just look at the reference. Putting it in 
> the registry would be redundant.

I would say that the answer to this depends on how the registry is used.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:17:36 -0500

> but that is a separate rant.

How about we keep the templates, but repurpose them for just describing 
a new vCard element in an RFC?

Simon

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:25:15 -0500

Hi Simon,

--On March 5, 2010 1:05:04 PM -0500 Simon Perreault 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> We should not bother IANA with forms and templates. Look at the mess that
> is media-types.
>

That is actually all I am proposing and in fact what was done for 
iCalendar: <http://www.iana.org/assignments/icalendar/icalendar.xml>.

All I am saying is that we need to use the templates in our draft so that 
they can be "formally" recognized by IANA and whoever the expert reviewer 
is.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:28:05 -0500

On 2010-03-05 13:25, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> All I am saying is that we need to use the templates in our draft so
> that they can be "formally" recognized by IANA and whoever the expert
> reviewer is.

Our document is fairly well organized as it is. Changing the structure 
at this point would be a huge waste of energy IMHO.

Simon

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:41:29 -0500

Hi Simon,

--On March 5, 2010 1:28:05 PM -0500 Simon Perreault 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Our document is fairly well organized as it is. Changing the structure at
> this point would be a huge waste of energy IMHO.

I would be OK with changing the template for properties to better match 
what is done inthe document (which would avoid a lot of work). I do think 
values and parameters should use the templates we have though (and there 
are fewer of those to deal with). Again, tweaking the templates for those 
to make the process somewhat easier would be reasonable too.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo