Subject: [VCARDDAV] tel-type= textphone

From: "Andy Mabbett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:07:02 +0100

Forgive me if this has already been discussed; I'm mobile, so don't have
chance to check the archives as thoroughly as I'd normally do.

Several colleagues have commented that it would be useful to have a "tel"
type of "textphone" for numbers like 0121 303 1119 on
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/contact - it's important for textphone users
(usually people who are deaf or who cannot speak, or those communicating
with them) to be able to differentiate such numbers form regular telephone
numbers.

This is different to the type of "text", which is, I believe meant for SMS
text messages (and thus should perhaps be renamed, or at least explained
less ambiguously in the spec).

More on textphones at:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_device_for_the_deaf

Regards,

-- 
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
** via webmail **

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:30:18 -0400

> with them) to be able to differentiate such numbers form regular telephone

Since we already have "fax" which plays an analogous role, and this is 
very non-intrusive, I would tend to say "sure, why not". So unless 
somebody opposes, this will be in the next version.

> less ambiguously in the spec).

Sure thing.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org