Subject: [VCARDDAV] ORG syntax issue?

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:13:00 -0700

Hi,
The definition for ORG appears as:

   ABNF:

     ORG-param = "VALUE=text" / language-param / pid-param / pref-param
               / type-param / any-param
     ORG-value = component *(";" component)

     component = "\\" / "\;" / "\n" / WSP / NON-ASCII
               / %x21-3A / %x3C-5B / %x5D-7E

   Example: A property value consisting of an organizational name,
   organizational unit #1 name and organizational unit #2 name.

           ORG:ABC\, Inc.;North American Division;Marketing

Note that the example has "\,", but that is not a valid "component" syntax 
element. I think we have to add "\," to the ABNF. This is actually a little 
awkward in that there is no special meaning to a single unquoted "," as 
opposed to the "list-component" syntax element which uses "," as a 
delimiter.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:18:16 -0400

On 04/22/2010 07:13 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Note that the example has "\,", but that is not a valid "component"
> syntax element. I think we have to add "\," to the ABNF. This is
> actually a little awkward in that there is no special meaning to a
> single unquoted "," as opposed to the "list-component" syntax element
> which uses "," as a delimiter.

I think it's the example that's wrong. There is no reason why the comma
should be quoted.

Thanks,
Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:35:46 -0700

Hi Simon,

> I think it's the example that's wrong. There is no reason why the comma

Well the trouble is 2426 used the same example and I have seen vcard 
generators produce "\," in ORG too. So do we care about backwards 
compatibility for this property syntax?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:03:41 -0400

> compatibility for this property syntax?

If we make "\," special in ORG, we need to make it special everywhere
else. And this will break backward compatibility elsewhere.

Or we can just see this as a bug fix.

Simon