Subject: [VCARDDAV] Issue in vcardrev-11 with Line Delimiting and Folding?

From: Markus Lorenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 02:06:50 +0200

Hey again,

section "3.1. Line Delimiting and Folding" says:

   A logical line MAY be continued on the next physical line anywhere
   between two characters by inserting a CRLF immediately followed by a
   single white space character (space, ASCII decimal 32, or horizontal
   tab, ASCII decimal 9).

It clearly states that the CRLF is followed by only a single white space
character. The example however uses _two_ spaces, at least in the
text-version in line 329
(http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-11.txt):

   For example the line:

     DESCRIPTION:This is a long description that exists on a long line.

   can be represented as:

     DESCRIPTION:This is a long description
       that exists on a long line.

Maybe in the non-text version it has been a tab!?

Regards,

Markus

---

From: Andrew McMillan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:38:09 +1200

> Maybe in the non-text version it has been a tab!?

Hi Markus,

It's wrapped before the existing space, so that (making spaces visible
as ^):

DESCRIPTION:This^is^a^long^description^that^exists^on^a^long^line.

has now become:

DESCRIPTION:This^is^a^long^description
^^that^exists^on^a^long^line.

So in the transformation only a line break, and a space have been added
- the second space already existed.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
         Flexibility is overrated.  Constraints are liberating.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markus Lorenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:07:32 +0200

> - the second space already existed.

Andrew, you're totally right. Thanks!

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:12:36 -0400

> Maybe in the non-text version it has been a tab!?

Actually, both the text version and the XML source are correct. There is 
no space at the end of "description". I think it was intentional to show 
how splitting on a word boundary could be performed.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org