Subject: [VCARDDAV] Comment on vcardrev-11 DATE

From: Markus Lorenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 02:33:54 +0200

And the third mail :)

It took me some time to understand the reasons behind the examples in
section "4.3.1. DATE":

   Examples for "date":

             19850412
             1985-04
             1985
             --0412
             ---12

As I haven't had access to ISO 8601-2004 until today, I tried to
understand the rules for truncation from the examples. The first rule I
extracted from the fourth and fifth example was that one dash represents
two unspecified digits. The second rule was that dashes at the end of a
truncated date could be removed, which can be seen in the third example.

But I was confused about the second example. I didn't understand why
there was a dash between year and month, because in all other cases the
year is immediately followed by the month. From my rule it should have
been "198504-" or "198504".

Finally the English Wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601) told me the reason for this. The
format YYYYMM could be misinterpreted by YYMMDD which was allowed in ISO
8601-2000.

>From my point of view mentioning this in the specification could be
reasonable to avoid confusion for developers who don't have access to
the ISO standard.

Regards,

Markus

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:08:15 -0400

> format YYYYMM could be misinterpreted by YYMMDD which was allowed in ISO

Agreed. There will be an explanatory note in the next revision.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org