Subject: [VCARDDAV] Last call comments: XML draft

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:40:12 -0400

Hi,
Below are my comments on the XML draft:

Section 1: Change "individuals" to "individuals and resources".

Section 4.1: Change "from IANA" to "with IANA".

Section 4.1: First paragraph. "separate document may be used instead". I 
don't really understand this statement. By default any vCard items 
registered with IANA are automatically valid elements in the XML. The only 
case where a separate definition for XML is needed is if a new structured 
value type is defined that requires sub-elements.

Section 4.1: Second paragraph. I thought we had agreed that X- and VND- 
properties would be in the vcard-4.0 namespace.

Section 5: Empty "o" bullet before "*" bullets in the list (several times).

Section 5: Change: "The name of the property element is set to that of the 
property." to "The name of the property element is set to the lowercased 
name of the property."

Section 5: Change: "If the property has attributes, they get translated 
as-is into sub-elements of the <parameters> element" to "If the property 
has parameters, they get translated as-is (with lowercasing of parameter 
names, removal of backslash escaping, and removal of quoting) into 
sub-elements of the <parameters> element.".

Section 7: Add a MIME type registration for application/vcard+xml.

General issues:

1. Backslash escaping: there is no need to preserve backslash escaping 
because list items are broken out into separate elements. So backslash 
escaping must be removed/added when converting to/from XML. This needs to 
be discussed in Section 5.

2. Parameter quoting: there is no need to maintain double-quotes around 
parameter values in the XML. So double-quotes around parameter values must 
be removed/added when converting to/from XML as appropriate. This needs to 
be discussed in Section 5.

3. There needs to be some discussion of the <vcards> root element as there 
is no direct analogue of that in vCard.

4. There needs to be some discussion of the special treatment of groups and 
probably an example too.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo