Subject: [VCARDDAV] New parameter ALTID

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:11:59 +0200

My dear WG,

During lunch with Cyrus and Joe we came up with other use cases for grouping
properties that are logically the same but count as 1 toward cardinality. For
example, suppose I have a PHOTO property with different FMTTYPE parameters. I
might want to group them. Here's how I would do it using the proposed ALTID
parameter:

PHOTO;ALTID=1;FMTTYPE=image/jpeg:...
PHOTO;ALTID=1;FMTTYPE=image/png:...

For the case of the LANGUAGE parameter with optional PIDs:

TITLE;ALTID=1;PID=1;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE;ALTID=1;PID=2;LANGUAGE=en:Boss
TITLE;ALTID=2;PID=3;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist

Cyrus mentioned that there were other use cases in iCalendar and that this ALTID
parameter would be useful there.

We think this is better than what we came up with during the WG meeting (i.e.
"foo.fr" and "foo.en"). Also, it preserves the nice property of the content of
the LANGUAGE parameter being only a language tag which is more easily queried
using CardDAV or XPath. (e.g "Give me the closest language to "en-US" would
return "en", which you can do easily using CardDAV "starts-with".).

OK?

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:23:36 -0400

> TITLE;ALTID=2;PID=3;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist
...
> return "en", which you can do easily using CardDAV "starts-with".).

D'accord.  Let's do it.

Barry

---

From: "Javier Godoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:28:54 -0300

> TITLE;ALTID=2;PID=3;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist

+1

Best Regards

Javier