Subject: [VCARDDAV] Mapping LANGUAGE to xml:lang?

From: Florian Zeitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:50:52 +0200

The following just occurred to me under the shower (as in, this is not
thoroughly thought through, but I did quickly check it against the
drafts).

Both vCard 4 and XML have a concept of language. vCard has the LANGUAGE
parameter and XML the xml:lang attribute, however the vcardxml
draft right now specifies no mapping between both.

I'd suggest one of the following options:
1. Map the LANGUAGE parameter to the xml:lang attribute, drop the
current element representation.
2. Add the xml:lang attribute at the appropriate level, but also keep
the current representation.

Option 1 removes some of the extensibility, while option 2 duplicates
information. Personally I'd opt for the former, since I don't see a
use-case for including additional namespaced elements inside the
language element.

In that context I also wondered if it's really a wise decision to have
no concept of a default language. For the XML representation it would
be very useful to have a xml:lang attribute at the root element and be
able to "blindly" embed the vCard in another XML file.

--
Florian Zeitz

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:33:01 -0400

> draft right now specifies no mapping between both.

We'll discuss this in the working group meeting that we're having today.

Thanks,
Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org