Subject: [VCARDDAV] 3.4 on UTF-8

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:48:48 +0200

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-13#section-3.4>:

3.4. Character Set

    The character set for vCard is UTF-8 as defined in [RFC3629].  There
    is no way to override this.

Maybe that should be expanded to say that it's invalid to specify a 
different encoding in the media type, and that it overrides both 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2046.html#rfc.section.4.1.2>:

"Unlike some other parameter values, the values of the charset parameter 
are NOT case sensitive. The default character set, which must be assumed 
in the absence of a charset parameter, is US-ASCII."

and <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.3.7.1>:

"The "charset" parameter is used with some media types to define the 
character set (Section 3.4) of the data. When no explicit charset 
parameter is provided by the sender, media subtypes of the "text" type 
are defined to have a default charset value of "ISO-8859-1" when 
received via HTTP. Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its 
subsets MUST be labeled with an appropriate charset value. See Section 
3.4.1 for compatibility problems."

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:54:52 -0400

On 2010-08-25 10:48, Julian Reschke wrote:
> different encoding in the media type, and that it overrides [...]

Will do. Thanks for the feedback!

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org