Subject: [VCARDDAV] vcardrev+vcardxml wglc status

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:13:47 -0400

Hello,
- as you have seen on the mailing list,
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01651.html)
we have received email about some possible issues on vcardrev. 
Hopefully, the details of these issues will be sent to the mailing list 
asap.

- the email below was also sent to various people, and I had the ok from 
the sender to forward it to the working group. As you can see, there is 
a request to try to discuss about some level of convergence between the 
various formats. I have expressed and also had AD support that we should 
have that discussion with the requesters. We are awaiting for a conf 
call to be setup.

- given those two recent events, after discussion and agreement with AD, 
we are holding the ietf last call until we have some perspectives on 
these two threads. If nothing happens soon, then we will revisit the 
next steps.

Marc, co-chair IETF vcarddav wg.

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: contact formats -- IETF/OMA/PoCo/W3C convergence?
Date : Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:24:12 +0200
De : Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Pour : Tantek Celik <[email-masked]>, Cristina Badulescu 
<[email-masked]>, Mark Blanchet 
<[email-masked]>, Frederick Hirsch 
<[email-masked]>, Robin Berjon <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], Chris Messina <[email-masked]>, 
Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>, Rich Tibbett <[email-masked]>, 
Mike Hanson <[email-masked]>, Suresh Chitturi <[email-masked]>, 
Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Copie à : Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>, public-ietf-w3c 
<[email-masked]>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG 
<[email-masked]>, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>, Dominique 
Hazaël-Massieux <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Hello,

this note is addressed to various individuals involved in contact format 
related work at and liaison relationships between W3C, IETF, OMA, and 
Portable Contacts.

The W3C Device API WG is working on a JavaScript API for address books:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/contacts-api/

The API's contact data model is currently based on the Portable Contacts 
data model.

We understand that the IETF carddav WG would prefer us to base our work 
on a model that is compatible with vcard4.  We further understand that 
the vcardrev draft has been in WG last call for a while.  It appears 
that there have been recent comments on the IETF carddav WG's mailing 
list that suggest a discussion about alignment between PoCo and vcard4.

Further, we have received a liaison note from OMA that suggests that we 
possibly adapt OMA's Converged Address Book work.  We understand that 
the OMA format is about to be frozen as well:
	http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/docs/OMA-LS_877-OMA_COM_to_W3C_Contact_Fields_Attachment-20100823-A.pdf

The W3C Device API WG is currently reviewing the various specifications 
and trying to see in detail where the formats agree or disagree; that 
work should be done within a week.  (Kudos to Rich Tibbett at Opera 
Software.)

It sounds like an informal discussion about overall directions for the 
various contacts formats, based on that review, would be beneficial in 
order to see whether further fragmentation can be avoided.  We're 
willing to host a phone conference for this conversation at W3C.

The purpose of this e-mail is to see whether there is interest in this 
sort of conversation, and whether there are timing considerations that 
we all should be aware of.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[email-masked]>  (@roessler)

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:05:28 -0600

Marc, thanks for the update. As you mentioned, the approach you suggest
seems reasonable to me with my "AD hat" on.