Subject: [VCARDDAV] SIP support in vCard 4.0

From: Daisuke Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 09:22:10 -0700

Hi folks,

Summary:
I want an additional example for SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)

Detail:
When I look over the draft (rev13), I noticed there's a mention to RFC 4770,
which defines SIP support in vCard 3.0.

In vCard 4.0, I'm not sure which field should be used to support it: TEL, or
IMPP.
I don't know well about SIP, but it can be interpreted as both, as SIP seems
often used for voice/video calls and TEL allows schema other than "tel:"
(See 6.4.1.)

Wikipedia says: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol)
> The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is an IETF-defined signaling
protocol, widely used for controlling multimedia communication sessions such
as voice and video calls over Internet Protocol (IP).

I suppose using IMPP should be better from the view of compatibility. Then,
one additional example would be helpful.

In 6.4.3. (IMPP):

Example:
   IMPP;PREF=1:xmpp:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
   IMPP;PREF=2:sip:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Thanks,

-- 
Daisuke Miyakawa (宮川大輔)
[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:36:18 -0400

On 2010-09-08 12:22, Daisuke Miyakawa wrote:
> In vCard 4.0, I'm not sure which field should be used to support it:
> TEL, or IMPP.
> I don't know well about SIP, but it can be interpreted as both, as SIP
> seems often used for voice/video calls and TEL allows schema other than
> "tel:" (See 6.4.1.)

Yes, I think both are fine. If you want to be contacted with instant
messaging over SIP, use IMPP. If you want to be contacted with
voice/video over SIP, use TEL. And if both are fine, then use both. Is
there a reason why we would need to pick one? I don't want vCard
properties to be associated with particular URI schemes, otherwise
properties become irrelevant and we can just put everything into the URL
property.

The same argument could be valid for XMPP since it also supports voice
and video.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Daisuke Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:46:34 -0700

Thanks for you answer. It looks clear.

Then, is it possible to clarify it in the specification?

> 6.4.1.  TEL
> Purpose:  To specify the telephone number for telephony communication
>     with the object the vCard represents.

I now understand TEL is not only for telephony but also (cell-phone and)
voice over IP. For people who know the fact, it is clear, but
I concern about possible readers who are new to vCard. Maybe.

Thanks,

2010/9/8 Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav
>

-- 
Daisuke Miyakawa (宮川大輔)
[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:50:01 -0400

> Then, is it possible to clarify it in the specification?

Sure. Can you please propose text that you would consider clear?

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Daisuke Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:22:59 -0700

I think your explanation would be fine enough =)

# Also, I'm not good at English writing. Anyway...

----
Special note for TEL
- The property can be used for voice/video chat over IP (Internet Protocol).
When its value is also
available as the address for instant messaging, there should also be an IMPP
property in addition to this property.

Special note for IMPP
- When the address is also available as the address for voice/video chat,
there should be a TEL property in addition to this property.

Example:
TEL;TYPE=HOME:sip:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
IMPP;TYPE=WORK:sip:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
----

-- 
Daisuke Miyakawa (宮川大輔)
[email-masked]