Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Proposal: Education

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 11:42:03 -0400

Hi Renato,

--On October 8, 2010 9:55:26 PM +1000 Renato Iannella <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>> This is probably a good field to include in a draft standardizing a
>> whole bunch of social networking properties. i.e. an extension rather
>> than something for the base spec.
>
> Cyrus, how does one make this call? (ie where do you draw the line and
> say that is vCard and that is "social" ?)

There is no difference between "vcard" and "social". The base set of 
properties we have right now are pretty much the set that came from the 
previous vcard spec (with a few modifications and additions of items needed 
to address fixes). The WG had decided that brand new properties or sets of 
properties would be registered separately using the new IANA process. Such 
"extension" registrations in now way lessen the importance or relevance of 
those properties - it is simply a matter of process.

> For example, the vCard Introduction says that it represents "information
> normally stored within an address book or directory application" - we now
> have online "directory" applications (aka, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Xing, Google
> Profile, etc...) - there are not that many X.520 directories left ;-(

But plenty of LDAP directories which can easily be used to "generate" vCard 
data.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo