Subject: [VCARDDAV] IDN in EMAIL

From: Peter Mogensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:16:00 +0100

Hi,

I first posted this email over a year ago, but it seems no one responded.
I would say it is still a problem with the current draft.

=======================================================================

I was wondering... should international domain names be punycoded in 
property values (like EMAIL)?

The reason I bring this up here is that there seems to be som confusion 
in RFC2426 vs. vCard4 draft.

RFC2426 says:
   3.3.2 EMAIL Type Definition
   Type encoding: 8bit

Which seems to imply that it's perfectly OK in vCard3 to code the 
address [email-masked] in plain QP UTF-8:

EMAIL;type=3DINTERNET;type=3DWORK;type=3Dpref:work@bl=C3=A5b=C3=A6rgr=C3=B8=d.dk

But the vCard4 draft says:
   7.4.2. EMAIL
   Value type:  A single text value
   EMAIL-value = addr-spec  ; from [RFC5322] section 3.4.1

And RFC5322 of course does not deal with IDN and allows only printable 
US-ASCII - which leads me to conclude that vCard4 would require domain 
names to be punycoded.

Am I wrong? Is this change on purpose?

kind regards,
Peter Mogensen

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:45:51 -0400

Sorry for not responding the first time you posted this. Probably
because I lack the knowledge necessary to determine what should be done.

This is important, folks.

> Am I wrong? Is this change on purpose?

It was on purpose, but not for *this* purpose.

People who are knowledgeable about this, (I know there are plenty in
this working group.), please comment. Please indicate if anything should
be changed in the current text.

Thanks,
Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:51:01 -0400

Hi Simon,

> be changed in the current text.

I would suggest a posting to the EAI working group to ask their advice.

I think my preference is to say that utf-8 email address components are 
allowed. Client will need to properly encode those when used over-the-wire. 
However, putting IDN encoded email addresses in too should be just fine. So 
I say prefer utf-8, but idn/eai encoded is OK.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:48:25 -0400

On 2010-11-04 20:51, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> allowed. Client will need to properly encode those when used
> over-the-wire. However, putting IDN encoded email addresses in too
> should be just fine. So I say prefer utf-8, but idn/eai encoded is OK.

So are you saying we should go back to a free-form text value?

Is there an equivalent of addr-spec somewhere that allows UTF-8?

Simon

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:56:21 -0400

Hi Simon,

> Is there an equivalent of addr-spec somewhere that allows UTF-8?

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5335> Section 4.4. That is experimental, 
which is why I suggest we ask EAI folks about this and see whether they 
think it is reasonable for us to adopt.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 20:10:49 +0100

There are a number of drafts on EAI's plate to get them to PS.

On 11/5/10 2:56 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5335> Section 4.4. That is
> experimental, which is why I suggest we ask EAI folks about this and
> see whether they think it is reasonable for us to adopt.
>