Subject: [VCARDDAV] Switch to GENDER, was Re: IETF79 vcarddav wg meeting notes

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:10:42 -0500

Hi Marc,

--On November 15, 2010 1:46:50 PM -0500 Marc Blanchet 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> - SEX
>    - Problem: Biological vs psychological semantics are unclear. Allowed
> values are un-intuitive and restrictive.
>    - Resolution: Rename SEX to GENDER. Change values to (male, female,
> <free-form text>). IANA registry for additional values that could be
> reserved.

So the PoCo spec actually defines three registered values "male", "female" 
and "undisclosed" as well as allowing arbitrary text 
(<http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html#anchor16>). I wonder if we 
should follow that and include "undisclosed" in our new registry - I would 
propose we do.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:13:43 -0500

Cyrus,
  would you mind differentiating between what was discussed and agreed 
during the meeting (which is the purpose of the meeting notes) and what 
you want to discuss more?  Moreover, I would prefer to receive diff text 
of the meeting notes, when submitted.
  from what I read of your two last emails, I'm not sure if these are 
request to change minutes or topic you want to discuss on the mailing list.

Marc.

Le 10-11-15 14:10, Cyrus Daboo a écrit :
> So the PoCo spec actually defines three registered values "male",
> "female" and "undisclosed" as well as allowing arbitrary text
> should follow that and include "undisclosed" in our new registry - I
> would propose we do.
>

-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN Implementation: http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:22:53 -0500

> should follow that and include "undisclosed" in our new registry - I

What's the difference between GENDER:undisclosed and the absence of the
property from the vCard?

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:45:15 -0500

Hi Marc,

> request to change minutes or topic you want to discuss on the mailing

To clarify, my last two posts were asking for minor changes to what was 
agreed at the meeting and are not corrections to the minutes (which is why 
I started new threads for each).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:47:21 -0500

> What's the difference between GENDER:undisclosed and the absence of the

I was asking this question so that I could write the semantics of
"undisclosed" in the draft.

However, someone pointed out to me that we would not be writing the
semantics for "male" and "female" either, since we do not want to get
stuck in this tar pit.

Therefore, I take back my question. I have absolutely no issue with
adding "undisclosed" to the predefined values.

Simon

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:52:52 -0500

Hi Simon,

> semantics for "male" and "female" either, since we do not want to get

That was kind of what I was going to say too.

> adding "undisclosed" to the predefined values.

OK.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo