Subject: [VCARDDAV] <vcards> element

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:58:28 -0700

Section 4 of draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-06 says:

   A top-level <vcards> element is used as root.  It contains one or
   more <vcard> element, each representing a complete vCard.  The
   <vcards> element MUST be present even when only a single vCard is
   present in an XML document.

Does the same mandate apply to technologies that re-use vCard4 (e.g., XMPP)?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:03:10 -0500

> Does the same mandate apply to technologies that re-use vCard4 (e.g., XMPP)?

If you want to restrict to a single <vcard> element, I see two options:

a. Use a <vcards> element as root, and add "MUST NOT contain more than
one <vcard> element."
b. Use a <vcard> element as root.

I guess it would be safer to go with a., but I'm not aware of all your
constraints...

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:13:21 -0700

> I guess it would be safer to go with a., but I'm not aware of all your

We'd probably prefer (b), because that's how we do things now:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0054.html

But we're working on a replacement for that and will figure out how
we'll do it soon...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/