Subject: [VCARDDAV] Review of draft-cauchie-vcarddav-oma-cab-extensions-00

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:33:54 -0400

I haven't read the OMA documents so I'll focus on the vCard side of things.

- The introduction contains:

    the CAB specification defines vCard extensions [...].
    This document re-uses the
    definitions found in the OMA-CAB specification and describes them as
    vCard extensions.

I'm confused. Does the CAB spec define vCard extensions or not? If so, 
why do we need to re-define them here?

- Instead of "ASCII decimal XX", please use "U+XXXX" notation. This is 
new as of vcardrev-22.

- As I start reading section 2.1, I'm still wondering what OMA-CAB does 
and where I can go for more information. So maybe a few more 
introduction sentences with a reference would be helpful.

- For CONTACT-STATUS-UPDATED, we have:

    Purpose:  To complete the CAB status of the object the vCard
        represents.

    Value type:  A single structured value consisting of a value
        indicating that the contact has been updated by the CAB server,
        as a result of automatic updates from incoming subscription
        request(s) (possible values : "incoming subscription request",
        "contact subscription","contact updated", "contactshare").  This
        field may include a CONTACT-ACK parameter.

Couldn't this be simplified to:

    Purpose:  To complete the CAB status of the object the vCard
        represents. The value indicates that the contact has been
        updated by the CAB server, as a result of automatic updates from
        incoming subscription request(s).

    Value type:  Ppossible values : "incoming subscription request",
        "contact subscription","contact updated", "contactshare").  This
        property may include a CONTACT-ACK parameter.

The idea is that a "structured value" containing a single field seems 
useless to me.

(Also note s/field/property/.)

(Also applies to CONTACT-STATUS-TEMPORARY.)

- In the same section:

        CONTACT-STATUS-UPDATED-param =  "VALUE=CONTACT-STATUS-UPDATED-
                value"

Isn't it missing the CONTACT-ACK parameter?

(Also applies to CONTACT-STATUS-TEMPORARY with ACCEPT and CONTACT-ID-REF.)

- Same section:

    Example:

        CONTACT-STATUS-UPDATED;ACK=true:contactshare

So is it ACK or CONTACT-ACK?

- For CONTACT-STATUS-TEMPORARY:

    Example:

        CONTACT-STATUS-TEMPORARY;CONTACT-ID-REF=150; ACCEPT=yes:
        contactshare

The space before the ACCEPT parameter is problematic. Also for proper 
line folding we would need a space at the start of the second line.

- What's the difference between CONTACT-LANGUAGE and LANG? If it's only 
for supporting the new parameters, why not simply add the new parameters 
to the LANG property?

- For CONTACT-LANGUAGE:

    Example:

        CONTACT-LANGUAGE;INDEX=1;LANGUAGE-PROFICIENCY-
        TYPE=speak;LANGUAGE-FLUENCY-TYPE=fluent:en

Missing space at beginning of second line.

(Many other examples have this issue. I won't be repeating it.)

- There seems to be a formatting error in the SERVICE section:

    Property parameters:

    Description:  This property can include the "INDEX" parameter

- I don't understand the difference between INDEX and PID.

- For the IANA considerations section, the "Status" column is gone in 
recent vcardrev drafts.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org