Subject: [VCARDDAV] review of draft-daboo-vcard-service-type-00

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:19:36 -0600

<hat type='individual'/>

Question for Cyrus: are you still actively working on this document?

I think you might mean SERVICE-NAME instead of SERVICE-TYPE.

Regarding localization, it definitely seems that we would want to
include non-ASCII characters. But we also might want two different names
for the same service (one English in ASCII and one in localized in Unicode).

How do we handle the case of a service that provides multiple interfaces
(e.g., for a while there you could sort-of access AOL Instant Messenger
via XMPP and perhaps they'll bring that back). Can more than one URI
scheme be associated with a single service name?

Regarding the use of service types/names with other properties (TEL,
EMAIL, etc.), I would say "maybe". Do people think about their TEL
service in terms of carrier/service (Verizon vs. Vodafone etc.) or is it
just a phone number? What about email (Hotmail vs. Gmail etc.)? IMHO
most people people just tell you their phone number or email address and
don't associate a service with that bit of information. This leads me to
think that service name/type is something specific to the IM arena
because the various services are separate islands. Then my question is:
do we want to perpetuate that reality by assigning service names only to
IM services but not to telephony or email services? However, I note that
we see something similar in other emerging fields such as social
networking sites and VoIP services.

In general I don't get excited about this extension, but I'm not deeply
opposed to it either.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/