Subject: [VCARDDAV] Review of draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension-03

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:02:00 -0400

- For SOCIALPROFILE, the use of the TYPE parameter is underspecified. It 
isn't clear whether the TYPE value is a free-form string of if it needs 
to be registered somewhere. Will it be displayed to the user?

- I see significant overlap between the following:

SOCIALPROFILE (from draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension)
SERVICE (from draft-cauchie-vccarddav-oma-cab-extensions)
SERVICE-TYPE (from draft-daboo-vcard-service-type)

I would expect the authors to work amongst themselves on merging those 
proposals, or at least eliminating the overlap (e.g. reusing parts 
defined in another draft).

- About DEPICTION: the observation about PHOTO is right on. Also note 
that we have LOGO...

- For SOCIALCODE:

        If the code contains characters that have to be quoted, such as
        COLON, SEMICOLON, or COMMA, the value MUST be enclosed in quotes.

Why? And do you understand that this will not eliminate the need for 
quoting those characters in the first place?

- For INTEREST:

        There
        are no predefined values for "TYPE", here -- the types will be
        understood (or not) by the vCard users, and it's likely that an
        ad hoc taxonomy will develop, as has happened with social
        tagging.

I think this is fine, but please specify whether this string is intended 
to be displayed to the user or not. (In the base spec, it is not 
intended to be displayed as-is. Instead, we expect the vCard app to 
understand the TYPE value and show something appropriate (either text or 
an icon). This is made possible because there is a registry of allowed 
values that defines their semantics.)

- There is overlap between INTEREST and the OMA-CAB draft. Please work 
on eliminating that overlap.

- In the IANA considerations section, the "Status" column is gone in 
recent vcardrev drafts.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org