Subject: [VCARDDAV] RFC 6352 clarification

From: Alex Zepeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:58:08 -0700

All,

I'm looking at implementing the addressbook-multiget report but sections 
8.7 and 8.7.1 are giving me a bit of a pause.  So a few, perhaps 
newbie-ish, questions follow.

8.7 states:

"The request body MUST be a CARDDAV:addressbook-multiget XML
element (see Section 10.7), which MUST contain at least one
DAV:href XML element and one optional CARDDAV:address-data element
as defined in Section 10.4."

The next sentence begins with: "If DAV:href elements are present".

Are DAV:href elements optional or mandatory?  If the DAV:href elements 
are optional, and the request URI is an address book collection, 
what should the inferred depth be?

8.7 also states:

"The request MUST include a Depth: 0 header; however, the actual
scope of the REPORT is determined as described above."

Which would tend to indicate that DAV:href is not mandatory?

But the example in 8.7.1 shows a Depth header set to 1.  Typo?

Finally, section 10.7 states

"When used in an address book REPORT request, the
CARDDAV:address-data XML element specifies which parts of address
object resources need to be returned in the response."

But the example in 8.7.1 shows a response that includes fields beyond 
what's specified by the address-data child elements.  Is the 
address-data expected to always return valid vCard data?  If so would 
that then require the begin, version, n, fn, and end fields regardless 
of which other fields are specified?  Or should address-data only return 
the fields specified (which would presumably indicate that the begin, 
version, and end should be omitted unless explicitly requested)?  Or 
should pseudo-vCard data be returned with the begin/end fields, with the 
fields returned otherwise strictly matching the fields requested?

- alex

---

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:53:24 +0200

On 09/04/2012 22:58, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Are DAV:href elements optional or mandatory?
Optional when the request-uri is an addressbook resource. Mandatory if 
it is an addressbook collection. Most clients use only the later form.
>    If the DAV:href elements
Sounds like a 400 HTTP error case to me.
> But the example in 8.7.1 shows a Depth header set to 1.  Typo?
Yes.
> address-data expected to always return valid vCard data?
No. This is clarified in section 10.4:
<<

Furthermore, address object resources specified in the
       CARDDAV:address-data XML element MAY be invalid per their media
       type specification if the CARDDAV:address-data XML element part of
       the address book REPORT request did not specify required vCard
       properties (e.g., UID, etc.) or specified a CARDDAV:prop XML
       element with the "novalue" attribute set to "yes".

>   If so would
> should pseudo-vCard data be returned with the begin/end fields,
Well, never realized that begin and end were indeed defined as regular 
fields/properties but I would guess that most server will always return 
them.
>   with the

...as long as they are indeed present in the requested resource, and 
with the subtleties specified in 10.4.2.
>
> - alex
> _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav