Subject: [VCARDDAV] phonetic-given-name and phonetic-family-name

From: te-fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:52:13 +0900

>Greetings,
>
>In iOS and MacOS Address Book interfaces, in addition to the usual
>name fields such as given-name, family-name, the Address Book provides
>phonetic-given-name and phonetic-family-name fields for users to enter
>for a contact.
>
>The UI use case of these is sorting by given or family name
>explicitly, beyond a simple "canonical" sort which the 'sort-as'
>parameter would suffice.
>
>The options of sort by given name (first name) or sort by family name
>(last name) are provided which sort according to phonetic-given-name
>if any otherwise given-name, and phonetic-family-name if any otherwise
>family-name, respectively. This feature is apparently particularly
>useful in Japanese.

Yes.
phonetic-given-name and phonetic-family-name is very important to in
Japanese.
The kanji has plural pronunciation, and the meanings are different, too.
Therefore, a sort using given-name and family-name is difficult.
I think that I can solve this problem by adding phonetic-given-name and
phonetic-family-name.
I think it to be feasible by adding an own properties to ContactsAPI[1].
Users of many Japanese will also wants this correspondence.

Thank you for your time.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ContactsAPI

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:15:34 +0200

>> explicitly, beyond a simple "canonical" sort which the 'sort-as'

For the record, SORT-AS allows this use case. The RFC even contains
examples of sorting by surname and by given name.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350#section-5.9

Simon

---

From: Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:57:54 +0000 (UTC)

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350#section-5.9

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

Rfc6350 section-5.9 was confirmed.
It seems not to be used so much in Japan though sorting seems to be possible 
according to 'Sort-as' parameter.
iOS and Gmail use the parameter of an original definition.

e.g.

N:山田;太郎;;;
FN:山田 太郎
X-PHONETIC-FIRST-NAME:たろう
X-PHONETIC-LAST-NAME:やまだ

Cannot the parameter defined as stated above be added to vCard4.0?

Thanks