Subject: [VCARDDAV] Review of draft-fukuda-vcarddav-phonetic-transcription-00.txt

From: Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 05:32:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
I wrote a new draft defined phonetic transcription capabilities as a vCard 
property.
I ask the opinion of a lot in this draft.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fukuda-vcarddav-phonetic-transcription-00

Thanks,

Teiichiro Fukuda

---

From: Daisuke Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:48:40 +0900

Nice work.

Actually I'm not really sure if we need this extension at all, but let me
add
some comments assuming we do need it.

I think one of the (possibly) most confusing part of this extension would
be why we want
more for that purpose. Some readers probably want to know how sorting is
different from
pronunciation. Practical examples will be very effective.

This extension looks implicitly coming from X-PHONETIC-XXX that is used by
proprietary products.
Unfortunately I suppose X-PHONETIC-XXX have already been used not only for
pronunciation but also for sorting.
To avoid unnecessary confusion, the extension should explicitly say this
never be for sorting purpose.
I believe the new properties and SORT-AS should not conflict with each
other.

Finally I prefer having some params field like LANGUAGE and x-param here.

Thanks,

2013/9/10 Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav
>

-- 
Daisuke Miyakawa (宮川大輔)
[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:11:25 +0200

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fukuda-vcarddav-phonetic-transcription-00

Here's some feedback:

- Why not define a parameter that applies to any (or most) property?

- Instead of two properties, why not use a single parameter with a list
value? The list would contain as many elements as the associated
property has components.

Basically, I'm thinking that using the same grammar as SORT-AS would be
better. You just need to define new semantics.

- In your examples you show three instances of the same property, one in
phonetic, one in katakana, and one in hiragana. How is the user-agent
supposed to know which one is which? Shouldn't the LANGUAGE parameter be
used to be able to distinguish?

Simon

---

From: Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 05:42:05 +0000 (UTC)

add
be why we want 
different from
proprietary products.
> I believe the new properties and SORT-AS should not conflict with each 
other.
Thank you for pointing out.
I will describe the thing that is not the property to sort it clearly. 
 
> Finally I prefer having some params field like LANGUAGE and x-param here.
I intend to add it about the parameter.

Thanks,

Teiichiro Fukuda

---

From: DataPacRat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:23:38 -0400

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fukuda-vcarddav-phonetic-transcription-00

How should this be used for names which already use Latin/English
letters, but which a vCard author wishes to describe phonetically? Eg,
to express "My name is spelled 'Boese', but it is pronounced like the
first word in 'bows and arrows'."

How should these properties be used when there is more than one given
name, such as "Daniel Eliot Boese"?

Have you given any thought to the use of the International Phonetic
Alphabet? Would it be worthwhile to mention a particular ASCII
transliteration of IPA, such as X-SAMPA, to allow vCard authors to
more easily enter such text?

Do you know what the appropriate language-code (for the LANGUAGE
parameter) for the IPA is? Would it be possible to accomplish your
goals by using the existing LANGUAGE and PREF parameters, eg:
FN;PREF=1;LANGUAGE=en:Daniel Eliot Boese
FN;PREF=99;LANGUAGE=en-fonxsamp:d{n.j@l ElI@t boz

Have you read the article, "Falsehoods Programmers Believe About
Names", available at
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/
(and translated into Japanese at
http://www.emptypage.jp/translations/kalzumeus/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names.html
) , and considered how many of them are currently part of your draft,
and how many it's possible to avoid?

Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, I could be wrong."

---

From: Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:13:11 +0000 (UTC)

> used to be able to distinguish?

Thank you for feedback.

I add LANGUAGE parameter and reflect comments of the feedback.

Thanks,

Teiichiro Fukuda