Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] phonetic-given-name and phonetic-family-name

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 09:57:00 +0200

Le 2013-08-31 07:05, Daisuke Miyakawa a écrit :
> One possible concern here *might* be that, Siri may not use SORT-AS, so
> we need something else.

Why doesn't Siri use SORT-AS? Is it because a) SORT-AS is not good
enough, or b) it was using X-PHONETIC first and has not migrated to SORT-AS?

If it's a), then we may need something else.
If it's b), then I don't see how defining something else would solve
anything.

Simon

---

From: Daisuke Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:43:55 +0900

2013/9/2 Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>

anything.

I think voice synthesis programs want to use information about
pronunciation,
not about sorting. Pronunciation and sorting are different things.
BTW, I saw some thread about that topic before:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg02067.html

-- 
Daisuke Miyakawa (宮川大輔)
[email-masked]

---

From: Teiichiro Fukuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 06:31:59 +0000 (UTC)

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault <at> viagenie.ca> writes:

> > I can see the value for sorting in several languages, but wonder about
> > addressing the broader question of pronunciation. The risk is of running
> > speculatively ahead of implementations/product esp authoring tools. Are
> > there any uses of something
> > like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet in the
> > wild for this?
> 
> My understanding so far is that the X-PHONETIC properties are used for
> sorting, not pronunciation.

You're saying the right thing.

However, there are cases that are used for purposes other than the sort.
For example, "Phonetic name" for the TTS(text-to-speech) in Android OS is 
used.
When you receive a call, mobile phone utters the caller name.

In this case, X-PHONETIC is used instead of the 'sort-as' parameters.

Thanks,

Teiichiro Fukuda