Subject: [VIPR] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-jennings-vipr-overview-02.txt

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:06:53 -0500

Hi all,

I have submitted an updated version of the overview document.  Note, that
sections 6, 7 & 8 have been removed and will be submitted in some form as
part of a new, separate framework document.  This document is intended to
describe the overall approach and basic functional model, along with
requirements.  The framework document will have much more detail on the
architecture and functional components.

The other changes are summarized as follows:
   1.  Editorial changes.
   2.  Clarifications to re-enforce that the primary objective is not
       PSTN bypass but rather to enable enhanced services such as video
       between domains.  Changed "VoIP" to "SIP" since the focus is not
       specifically voice.
   3.  Added reference for new framework document.
   4.  Section 5.3:  Added references to other documents as appropriate
       - e.g., -pvp, -spam, etc.
   5.  Moved validation diagrams and text (from 5.3.4) into Validation
       and caching section (5.3.3).
   6.  Condensed discussion of spam in section 5.3.3 and updated SPAM
       section in security section.

Other than the SPAM section, there have been no other changes to the
security section, which I think may need some more work.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks,
Mary.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-jennings-vipr-overview-02.txt
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

       Title           : Verification Involving PSTN Reachability:
Requirements and Architecture Overview
       Author(s)       : Mary Barnes
                         Cullen Jennings
                         Jonathan Rosenberg
                         Marc Petit-Huguenin
       Filename        : draft-jennings-vipr-overview-02.txt
       Pages           : 27
       Date            : 2011-09-28

  The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has seen widespread deployment
  within individual domains, typically supporting voice and video
  communications.  Though it was designed from the outset to support
  inter-domain federation over the public Internet, such federation has
  not materialized.  The primary reasons for this are the complexities
  of inter-domain phone number routing and concerns over security.
  This document reviews this problem space, outlines requirements, and
  then describes a new model and technique for inter-domain federation
  with SIP involving the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN),
  called Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (VIPR).  VIPR
  addresses the problems that have prevented inter-domain federation
  over the Internet.  It provides fully distributed inter-domain
  routing for phone numbers, authorized mappings from phone numbers to
  domains, a new technique for automated SIP anti-spam, and privacy of
  number ownership, all while preserving the trapezoidal model of SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-vipr-overview-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-vipr-overview-02.txt
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt