Subject: [VIPR] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD) Base Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-p2psip-base-26.txt)

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:22:54 -0800

FYI

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD) Base
Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-p2psip-base-26.txt)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:17:36 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: p2psip chair <[email-masked]>, p2psip mailing list
<[email-masked]>, RFC Editor <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- - 'REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD) Base Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-p2psip-base-26.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Peer-to-Peer Session Initiation
Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-p2psip-base/

Technical Summary

This document defines a protocol to manage a secure Peer-to-Peer (P2P)
connection structure for use by Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and other
devices which allows these devices to function with minimal central servers.

The protocol provides functionality to allow devices to securely form, join,
leave, and maintain an overlay of peers. It also allows devices to establish
connections between each other, and to collectively augment or replace the
location and connection establishment capabilities of traditional
client-server SIP in a P2P context. The overlay algorithm layer uses a plugin
architecture to accommodate alternative technologies using DHT or other
mechanisms.  This document specifies a DHT based on CHORD as
mandatory-to-implement to ensure interoperability.

Diagnostics and tuning of the protocol are being developed by the working
group in separate drafts.

Working Group Summary

This document is a WG document that has WG consensus.

Document Quality

The document went through an IESG last call and many comments were made by
IESG and Gen-Art reviewers. The RAI Area Directors asked guest editors to
assist in comment resolution, and Marc Petit-Huguenin and Dean Willis set up a
work process where every IESG and Gen-Art comment was entered as an issue in a
github issue tracker, with github then being used to track and review document
changes. Document authors Cullen Jennings and Eric Rescorla participated in
the revision process, with any needful questions being taken to the P2PSIP
mailing list for discussion. All DISCUSS and most lesser comments are believed
by the editors to have been addressed in the -25 version of the document. Note
that there is ongoing debate about the application of RFC 2119 language in the
document. The Gen-Art reviewer and one editor preferred a style with extensive
use of RFC 2119 language for all normative text. Following an extended
discussion on the IETF mailing list, a compromise style has been a
 pplied to the document.

Personnel

David Bryan is the document shepherd.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible AD.