Subject: [vmeet] Subject-line suggestion for posting suggestions

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:55:13 -0700

Folks,

I'll re-post this message tomorrow or the next day, after more folks have had a 
chance to subscribe, but since we already have a number of members and now have 
our first specific suggestion, I thought it worth our trying to help list readers:

I think there are 3 kinds of suggests worth distinguishing:

    TECHnology is something like a protocol or a component mechanism.

    TOOLs are integrated products or services that provide a complete capability

    FRAMEworks are broad, system-level modes of group operation.

So, for example, "TECH: mailing list" might be a technology.  "TOOL: Mailman" 
might be a tool and "FRAME: asynchronous email forum" might be a framework. 
And, yes, I carefully chose a low-tech, old-tech example that we won't want to 
discuss, both because we already use it and because it isn't interesting as an 
(interactive) remote participation approach.

So I suggest that anyone making a suggestion preface their subject line with the 
appropriate upper-base keyword, to classify the message.

And while we will want to discuss things and refine down to specific proposals, 
the best thing in the early stages of a discussion like this is to get a core 
dump of people's pet suggestions, no matter how silly, ambitious or mundane.

I'll post some of my own, both to prime the pump and to try to make more clear 
how the labels might get used.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net